Maryland EV Excise Tax Credit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtd240

I just mailed my MD excise tax credit form to the MVA.

Any Marylanders on here? How long did it take for the MVA to process the state tax credit and issue a check?

I have read several different forums, some people stating that they were only refunded the exact amount of tax they paid, while some were refunded a flat $125/kWh. What should I be expecting?

I received my title number today and am mailing the form first thing tomorrow. The check should arrive in about a month.

For the i3, the excise-tax credit should be for $2,750. State law says it's calculated by multiplying the kW capacity of the HV battery by $125. That amount is capped at $3,000.

I ran into a problem with a Nissan Leaf earlier this year, where I received a refund check for 6% of the sales price, which was closer to $2,000, instead of the $3,000. It took a while, but MVA fixed it. I have a helpful contact there if you have any trouble.

Greetings fellow Marylanders.
I received a check in less than 30 days. $2750.
Don't forget to request another check for 50% of your charger plus installation cost, up to a maximum of $900. Also less than 30 days.

Also the HOV sticker. Looks nice next to the license plate. Also less than 30 days. But its only good for MD, not valid in VA. That means only I-270, but that's rather nice.

Thanks for the info guys.

Bill, could you send me the contact info for that person? I read your post on the Nissan Leaf forum. I'd like to be ready to "have it fixed" when the check gets here. I'll look into the HOV sticker, although we are in Brookeville so we don't often jump on 270 during rush hour.

By the way, know any Marylanders 9with i3s) who might be interested in 20" Giga rims? I didn't realize we were buying summer tires (long story short), something BMW should be warning people about when they buy an i3 with the optional 20" rims, and I would feel safer if my wife were driving around on all-seasons. Don't have the cash to buy the winter wheels, either. BMW said they did inform us (no..), and that they could give us $400 for the rims/tires. Doesn't help much :lol:

PM sent on the MVA contact.

I'm fairly sure the Giga tires (19") are all-seasons. It's the optional Sport 20" wheels that have the summer tread. I missed this detail, too (the web site says "mixed tires" for the 20s, which is code for sport tires), and asked the dealer if they could swap the 20s for another i3's Giga 19 all-seasons. The salesman said it wasn't possible because the 20s had been put on at the factory and therefore were on the Monroney sticker. So I bought the OEM winter tire kit, which brings peace of mind on the commute.

stormsaw said:
Greetings fellow Marylanders.
I received a check in less than 30 days. $2750.
Don't forget to request another check for 50% of your charger plus installation cost, up to a maximum of $900. Also less than 30 days.

Also the HOV sticker. Looks nice next to the license plate. Also less than 30 days. But its only good for MD, not valid in VA. That means only I-270, but that's rather nice.
These incentives truly make Maryland an amazing state to own or lease an i3, or any EV.

You guys heard about Maryland's Special Vintage Reproduction License plates? They're available until the end of 2014.

iWls8bVr

I think the yellow will pop against the black bumper. And you can personalize them! http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/licenseplates/specialvintage.htm

Early 20th century was a high time for EVs in the D.C. area. In 1908, for example, 20% of all vehicles were electric. Senators drove the damn things.
https://twitter.com/SociabilityRun

websterize said:
PM sent on the MVA contact.

I'm fairly sure the Giga tires (19") are all-seasons. It's the optional Sport 20" wheels that have the summer tread. I missed this detail, too (the web site says "mixed tires" for the 20s, which is code for sport tires), and asked the dealer if they could swap the 20s for another i3's Giga 19 all-seasons. The salesman said it wasn't possible because the 20s had been put on at the factory and therefore were on the Monroney sticker. So I bought the OEM winter tire kit, which brings peace of mind on the commute.

Yeah, only the 20" wheels have summer tires. The car we bought had an online blurb on the dealer's website, which said it had 19" wheels. I assumed that perhaps the same style wheel came in 2 different sizes (19", with all-seasons, and 20", with summer tires). Yet another lesson on the dangers of "assuming". How many more do I need :lol:

Back