More confusion re sunroof in the US

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiburonh

Earlier today I posted an email I got from San Francisco BMW in which they let me know that they will have i3's available for sale in April (i.e, they have not managed to pre-sell their initial allocation.)

I sent them back this reply:

"I really wanted to get the i3 - but only if it has the sun roof. My understanding is that BMW is not going to include the sun roof in any US models this year, but if I am wrong about that, please let me know!"

And they replied back thusly:

"No one knows so far for sure. I will keep you posted.."

Has anyone else hear from their dealer that there actually might be sunroofs on the US models????

Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team regarding options for the BMW i3.

BMW of North America has made the decision to not offer the optional moonroof on the BMW i3 at launch. The company will monitor consumer demand and will evaluate the possibility of offering the option to US customers in the future.

If you need it, you can also access a team of Geniuses at your participating authorized BMW center. A list of our BMW centers and their contact information can be found on our website at: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/dealer/default.aspx.

The BMW Genius Team is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1.844.4GENIUS (443-6487).

XXXXXXXXXX
BMW Genius
Representative

Hwy1rnr said:
This response would seem to make little sense. The Euro cars have the moonroof available and our cars are being built to spec so...what's the issue??

Two issues:

1. The general consensus about the performance to date of BMW's new "geniuses" is that they are no better informed than the typical CA.

2. BMW has refused thus far to explain why no sunroof in the US even though they are making a nice profit selling it as an upgrade in Europe. This refusal has led some (admittedly with me as an initiator) to speculate that the reality is that BMW has discovered that cutting the requisite hole in the Carbon Fibre roof compromises the structural integrity of the roof in a way that makes the car fare poorly in the government and/or insurance industry crash tests in the US.

I think the BMW official is correct - launch it first, they can sell this year any they produce anyway, either in US or the rest of the world. If US demand for the sunroof is impeding sales next year/s, then they will consider it. My dealer mentioned that in order to launch the car in US, they have to rush the EPA and crash approvals - so they could only submit one car to be tested, and as that was without a sunroof, they will not be able to sell the sunroof option until maybe next year when they will eventually get to test it.
As for the sunroof inclusion reducing the rigidity of the frame, I think is is highly unlikely. Unlike a regular metal car, the rigidity is given solely by the CF frame and the thin CF roof panel which is glued to the CF cage is not a contributor to rigidity. If there was a cross member of the cage needing removal in order to mount the sunroof, then yes, the structure would become weaker. But from the videos I've seen, the sunroof is in front of the cross member (that one is aligned with where the B pillars would be on a regular car).
Personally, I don't care for sunroofs in general - and this car has a very open and bright interior space so I'll not feel like I need more light. The extra ventilation would be nice but can live without. I'm more concerned about the rear windows - as far as I know, those do not open (at least I could not find an answer if they do or not...). I hope they open at least half way :)

bxb40 said:
I am more concerned about the rear windows - as far as I know, those do not open (at least I could not find an answer if they do or not...). I hope they open at least half way :)

Thanks for the analysis. Unfortunately, the rear windows are fixed, so no help with ventilation there.

bxb40 said:
I think the BMW official is correct - launch it first, they can sell this year any they produce anyway, either in US or the rest of the world. If US demand for the sunroof is impeding sales next year/s, then they will consider it. My dealer mentioned that in order to launch the car in US, they have to rush the EPA and crash approvals - so they could only submit one car to be tested, and as that was without a sunroof, they will not be able to sell the sunroof option until maybe next year when they will eventually get to test it.
As for the sunroof inclusion reducing the rigidity of the frame, I think is is highly unlikely. Unlike a regular metal car, the rigidity is given solely by the CF frame and the thin CF roof panel which is glued to the CF cage is not a contributor to rigidity. If there was a cross member of the cage needing removal in order to mount the sunroof, then yes, the structure would become weaker. But from the videos I've seen, the sunroof is in front of the cross member (that one is aligned with where the B pillars would be on a regular car).
Personally, I don't care for sunroofs in general - and this car has a very open and bright interior space so I'll not feel like I need more light. The extra ventilation would be nice but can live without. I'm more concerned about the rear windows - as far as I know, those do not open (at least I could not find an answer if they do or not...). I hope they open at least half way :)

I'm no engineer, but if the sunroof does NOT affect the rigidity of the frame, then why does BMW have to add that big center cross bar down the middle of the roof in the sunroof versions (which effectively reduces what would normally be a nice panoramic sunroof down to two portholes) ?

Trying to find the post I read about all this but having trouble. From memory though it's got nothing to do with safety or body rigidity. It simply the delays in manufacturing. BMW is rejecting half of the carbon fibre at the moment and it's causing issues to the extent they are making 50% of the amount of cars they should be. The first US cars will be made to a spec and brought over. Then the custom cars can be made, and this includes a sunroof option
Also in response to that earlier question: the rear windows don't open at all.

bxb40 said:
I think the BMW official is correct ...in order to launch the car in US, they have to rush the EPA and crash approvals - so they could only submit one car to be tested, and as that was without a sunroof, they will not be able to sell the sunroof option until maybe next year when they will eventually get to test it...

So why not submit a model that had a sunroof for US crash testing?

I'm happy to tell my BMWi Genius that I'll wait for sunroof model.

If it's any consolation, I saw an i3 with a sunroof recently and I was really disappointed about how much it actually opens (fully, not on tilt). I guess there isn't much roof for it to slide back into/on top of. It hardly seemed worth the extra cost to me - I am skipping it when I order mine soon.

I was also evaluating whether £790 option was worth ordering when I realised that it resembled port holes. You also need to consider the extra weight and the slight drag which would inevitably reduce range, however once I saw the roof in person I decided to go ahead with this option, as you still get a fresh, open air sensation.

I drove an I3 this past Saturday with a sunroof (in San Diego, but the car was a German version) and it was quite nice even without opening it. The extra light is always welcome. But as I recall it only opens a bit over half way and yes, has a thick bar down the middle that feels like two separate openings but isn't. Each passenger has their own shade which is kinda nice. Not a perfect world. The kid that showed me around the car said it wasn't offered because it has something to do with the 50-59 weight distribution - yea right! The same kid also said the Rex was a 3 cylinder! Not his fault, it seemed they just hired kids off the street with minimal training to shuffle people in and out of the cars, not sell them.

My experience exactly--it was as if they hired these young folk just off the street to demo the i3 for us. I've learned a lot more about the i3 from Tom Moloughney's blog and his comments on this blog than from my BMW dealer or the kids who were hired to help with the demonstration. I'd like to chalk this off to the perils of introducing a new product but with a company like BMW, you expect more. What we do know is that BMW knows how to build cars as demonstrated to me when I actually did my test drive. The i3 is a great car. Now if I can only receive it--better yet, learn when I will be receiving it.

Back