Morning departure pre-conditioning - how much time latitude?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatguy

My understanding of the fully charged and plugged in pre-conditioning process is that the battery is used to condition the passenger compartment, and warm up the battery, consuming some energy in the process. When the battery level drops below some threshold, it starts up the charger which will then top up the battery. This all takes some unknown amount of time which is dependent on the outside temperature at the time of the pre-conditioning and the power of my charger. In a perfect world I'd like to arrive at my car fully conditioned and fully charged.

So how smart are the i3's pre-conditioning algorithms?

a) If I set the departure for 8am, is it smart enough to analyze the ambient air temperature, consider my charging source (mine is L1 for another six months) and initiate the whole process so that my car will be pre-conditioned and fully charged at 8am?

b) If I set the departure for 8am, then don't show up until 8:30, will it continue to pre-condition until I arrive? How about 9am? 9:30? 10:30?

Boatguy said:
a) If I set the departure for 8am, is it smart enough to analyze the ambient air temperature, consider my charging source (mine is L1 for another six months) and initiate the whole process so that my car will be pre-conditioned and fully charged at 8am?

b) If I set the departure for 8am, then don't show up until 8:30, will it continue to pre-condition until I arrive? How about 9am? 9:30? 10:30?

a) yes. but it seems to be half smart, it starts several hours before ans simply keeps the temperature steady kicking in and out as needed.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-20-at-7.47.31-AM.png

The three small saw teeth are battery preconditioning, the bigger one at the end is cabin heat.

b) no. It goes to about 5 minutes past your scheduled time and stops further actions.

Tomasz said:
Boatguy said:

a) yes. but it seems to be half smart, it starts several hours before ans simply keeps the temperature steady kicking in and out as needed.

The three small saw teeth are battery preconditioning, the bigger one at the end is cabin heat.

b) no. It goes to about 5 minutes past your scheduled time and stops further actions.
I can't experiment with this currently, my L1 trips the GFI (condo garage) quite frequently when I try to pre-condition. But in six months I should have my new house built and a full 40a L2 charger.

That's a great graph, what EVSE do you have?

In your graph, the scheduled time of departure was 5:45?

Boatguy said:
That's a great graph, what EVSE do you have?
In your graph, the scheduled time of departure was 5:45?
I've got OpenEVSE, the graphs are from Open Energy Monitor.

Yes, the departure is set to 5:45AM

Tomasz said:
I've got OpenEVSE, the graphs are from Open Energy Monitor.

Yes, the departure is set to 5:45AM

OpenEVSE and Open Energy Monitor go great together... Here is my setup. Feel free to play with my dashboard, the link is at the bottom. You can scale the graphs by day, week, year or simply click on the graph and select the timeframe you want...

Energy.jpg

The photo above is information from several sources sent to the Open Energy Project server emoncms.org.

I currently have implemented:
AC voltage (Open Energy node)
Current (OpenEVSE)
Temperature (OpenEnergy Node)
Future
SOC (Tesla REST API, Leaf Carwings)

I have made my dashboard Public. The dashboard can be viewed here:
http://emoncms.org/chris1howell/

Back