My pictures and vides from IAA Frankfurt

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m11wlk

Hi,

I took lots of pictures of each colour at the motorshow on Friday (except Solar orange which wasn't on the stand). I also took a picture of the spec sheet for each car and named all of the files with the colour and as a minimum got the same three angles of each car for comparison.

I've uploaded my full size images to this shared folder which hopefully you can access? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxpun02h868t453/SHweC5SkkX

I also took a video of the iShow on the main stage (albeit in German) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osyWVIqC3-U

I managed to get a ride in one outside too which was excellent! http://youtu.be/eKQ8-xX-JdY

Now I just need to get my order in!

Michael

What a great set of pics, you did well there and you're obviously happy with what you saw seeing as you still want to order an i3.

The two different versions of the wallbox is interesting, I wonder if that option will be available in the UK. I also learnt from your pics that the standard media package has a simpler i-drive controller (without the touch function).

There are a few 'Press shuttle' videos online by now and you seemed to get the best demo-ride out of everyone I've seen !

Hi,

Yes, the standard (business) navigation controller wasn't touch sensitive and the screen was a bit disappointing compared to the professional one. I wouldn't have bothered upgrading until I saw it - also liked how the larger screen in the demo car could do maps and energy screen side by side. I know its free for early orders but not sure if I can get that as I want to order as a company car - if not, I think I would pay for it now.

M

Great pictures and video ...... many thanks for posting.

Did you go on a public day?

What were your thoughts about the i3 before you went (had you already placed a provisional order?) .... did seeing them inside / outside & the ride change your view - for better / worse?

What was your favourite interior & why?

Many thanks,

P

Hi

I went on the trade day (Friday) thinking it would be a bit quieter. You didn't need to prove you were trade just pay a bit extra for the ticket.

I have been pretty convinced I want one before seeing and more sure since seeing it and feeling the power. I haven't placed a provisional order because I think it will be better value to take it as a company car (subject to being allowed) since I would get the benefit of 0% BIK (rising to 5% etc probably) which effectively means paying for it before income tax is deducted.

Using my company's online tool (which doesn't list the i3), a £34,000 (before PICG) Ampera is about £620/month for a two year lease (inc maintenance and insurance) which would equivalent of a salary reduction of £360 given the income tax saving and no BIK year one. I am hoping that I can get a similar price for an i3 with about £4k of options.

My ideal spec is:
non range extender
Andesit silver
429 wheels
winter pack
loudspeaker harman/kardon
adaptive LED headlights
Media pack - BMW professional

I didn't see a suite interior except through a window, but otherwise Lodge was my favourite for the wood element and bright interior but the leather edges were already quite grubby on the seats (very similar colour to the Kansas Walnut leather in my Z4). Loft was nice too for its brightness but the metallic finish plastic on the dash, where wood could go, was still quite cheap feeling, like the standard interior, so I don't think I would choose it over Lodge.

In any case, I think the standard was nice enough, the seats more dark grey than solid black - plastic a bit scratchy compared to the nice leather trimmed glove box area on Lodge, but I don't think I could justify paying £1,500 for a bit of wood, leather and cream carpets in the UK, even if it looks so nice. Plus, if I did, I would feel obliged to get the £710 driving assistant plus pack :p Maybe if I was buying the car with the intention of owning it long term.

I was more impressed with the interior than I expected to be, especially the eco/recycled finish on the doors which I thought was ok in real life. I think the business sat nav looked quite poor in comparison to the professional, so I think I would pay the extra for that over a different interior.

The ride was good, less road noise than I expected (but low speeds) and sufficiently rattle free.

Can't wait to get it ordered somehow now!

Well I got my quotes back today to take the i3 as a company car and thought I'd share the prices incase it gives anyone else a guide.

My scheme offers 2 (20,000 mile) or 3 year (30,000 mile) terms, both inclusive of any required servicing, tyres and insurance etc.

Spec quoted is as above, although I need to confirm whether the pro-sat nav is definitely included.

2 year: £659/month (after income tax saving, arising because the cost is deducted from my pre-tax salary, and at 0% BiK in 15/16 that is a real cost of £383/month)
3 year: £553/month (net cost £321/month)

I am pretty convinced I should just go for the 2 year option.

Back