My vehicle went up in flames

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really having trouble getting this sequence of events in order of their occurrence.
I've done my due diligence in sharing the story, don't need to defend my experience -- the whole incident was unbelievable and I'm just of the opinion that the risk is not worth it. My kids are terrified of fires now, campfires now trigger my preschooler, but hey, if the sequence is questionable easier to be dismissive than support one another or accept that one's dream vehicle is not as fantastic as you might want to believe. I LOVED this car!

Great question, maybe these are novel enough to nudge your skepticism
Not really as those are the same photos posted to the Twitter comment I posted. So not "novel" enough I guess if some random person can post them to Twitter last year.

I've done my due diligence in sharing the story
That's a very unusual phrase to use. I don't think I've ever before heard someone recount a story about themselves and then say "I've done my due diligence" about the story. Very unusual indeed...

But anyway, you now say that this happened on an unspecified date in 2022, and you ask for help. What help do you think forum members can offer in 2024? Presumably other things have happened in the intervening time that you haven't yet told us about?

What date, city and state (or country) did this happen in? To verify this actually happened as the event was told, it’s easy to obtain a report from a public agency. They are public in the USA and Canada.

So what is this ‘danger’ that you’re making us aware of? Is is something specific to the i3? But if it’s that cars can catch without warning, then that’s not really news. Ask any Range Rover or Vauxhall Zafira owner, or one of any of the 40,000 vehicles that catch fire annually.

What I’m caught up in is the dire need to “prove” something and the negative passion to discredit BMW. “I have receipts! BMW was wrong! Look out, They may get you too!”

I don’t know what she’s trying to accomplish here but I sense falsehoods and someone who needs a validation in the form of a hug.

Bizarre and confusing thread, especially considering that this happened two years ago. If you had comprehensive coverage, I can't see any way this wasn't covered. Hard to imagine insurance not paying because the tow truck lost the car after it caught on fire a second time. You have the towing company's information, so it shouldn't be that hard to find out what happened to the car simply by asking the driver. You asked for help in the first post. What kind of help are you seeking?

Car2.jpg doesn’t appear to be an i3
In defence of the OP, if you zoom into the photo, it probably is an i3. The photo appears to show the car on fire with a pickup truck behind it - possibly the one that flagged the driver down. In the phone footage, the truck driver seems (sensibly) to have moved their car away.

I personally don't have any doubt that the event happened (BMW did after all sell a quarter of a million i3's, so statistically it's inevitable that some will have caught fire, like any other make/model), but I'm not convinced about the motives of the person raising the subject here...

In defence of the OP, if you zoom into the photo, it probably is an i3. The photo appears to show the car on fire with a pickup truck behind it - possibly the one that flagged the driver down. In the phone footage, the truck driver seems (sensibly) to have moved their car away.

I personally don't have any doubt that the event happened (BMW did after all sell a quarter of a million i3's, so statistically it's inevitable that some will have caught fire, like any other make/model), but I'm not convinced about the motives of the person raising the subject here...
It's certainly weird timing from an account with no other posts, and not really news 2 years later that it burned. The only point seems to be that BMW refused to take full responsibility for covering a car that was out of warranty and not in their possession. Why would they?

Comprehensive insurance coverage (at least in the US) would have covered it, and low deductible amounts are not very expensive.

I am curious whether the TSB for the fuel line had been addressed or not.

Comprehensive insurance coverage (at least in the US) would have covered it, and low deductible amounts are not very expensive.
If there's one useful takeaway to this tale, it's this. Comp covers a host of crazy didn't-see-THAT-coming incidents, and it's cheap.

The “takeaway” I see from this is, someone can post some unverified report and people believe it “hook line and sinker”.

Metal or battery fires require a Class “D” fire extinguishing agent. Not water. Water is used for area protection in this case.

As for “fake posting” It’s obvious when looking at frame 1 and then frame 3. Some of the frames show a forest background.

Where’s the bridge in the background?

Why is the flora different? Did the flaming mess get moved while it was on fire?

One of the frames show a painted white steel wheel from what appears to be from a small light truck Not an alloy wheel or even an aftermarket steel wheel.

Even the photos don’t show the name of the fire department (which a report can be obtained to verify this posting)….

And then the inconsistencies in the story.

I say BS posted by a Troll.

Last edited:
I've done my due diligence in sharing the story, don't need to defend my experience -- the whole incident was unbelievable and I'm just of the opinion that the risk is not worth it. My kids are terrified of fires now, campfires now trigger my preschooler, but hey, if the sequence is questionable easier to be dismissive than support one another or accept that one's dream vehicle is not as fantastic as you might want to believe. I LOVED this car!
Hey everybody, if you search fernan85 on the web, see what you get. These people are insidious.

Back