New recall for "marginal front crash result"?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jakecturner said:
Robot24 said:
Anyone knows if this recall is also blocking lease take overs?

Rick

I just finished stage 2 of a lease assumption of a 2015 i3. I assume they wouldn't let it get this far if it was to be cancelled by the recall. Fingers crossed.
I hope this went through, best of luck! Totally off topic, but I wonder what to look out for by taking over a lease? I assume one of the surprises might be the new set of tires that is required to put on? (Depends on driving style and length of lease I guess)

Robot24 said:
jakecturner said:
Robot24 said:
Anyone knows if this recall is also blocking lease take overs?

Rick

I just finished stage 2 of a lease assumption of a 2015 i3. I assume they wouldn't let it get this far if it was to be cancelled by the recall. Fingers crossed.
I hope this went through, best of luck! Totally off topic, but I wonder what to look out for by taking over a lease? I assume one of the surprises might be the new set of tires that is required to put on? (Depends on driving style and length of lease I guess)

Yes it did go through! Basically just look out for the general condition of the car and make sure that it has enough mileage left to make it worth it. The lease I took over has 13k miles left and I turn it in next November. More than enough for a nice test drive to see if the i3 is worth purchasing in the long run. I talked with BMW over the phone and basically I just pay a $350 dollar fee when I turn it in and walk away. Tires look fine on the one I took over. I've heard from other people that they are pretty lenient on the term normal wear and tear and no one really has issues turning them in.

jakecturner said:
I've heard from other people that they are pretty lenient on the term normal wear and tear and no one really has issues turning them in.
A frequent cost when ending a lease is due to tire tread depth being less than the limit (3/32"?). Unfortunately, the inside tread on a new i3 tire has very shallow tread, so the tread depth on the inside tread can easily be <3/32" while the depth of the rest of the tread is >3//32". Some inspectors have apparently considered such tires too worn which results in an assessment of $150 per tire (I've read that this has increased recently to $175). So beware of this.

Are you guys saying we can return the vehicle even the lease is not yet ended? Basically we just got the i3 last june 2017.

I dropped my i3 yesterday at the dealer for a suspension noise and I was told they have the fix for the recall already. Apparently it's just a software update that will fix the frontal crash recall.

RRBerman said:
I dropped my i3 yesterday at the dealer for a suspension noise and I was told they have the fix for the recall already. Apparently it's just a software update that will fix the frontal crash recall.

What did they do about the noise from suspension?

They told me they lubed a bushing at the firewall, where the steering shaft goes through. Not sure if that's going to fix it. My car will be done tomorrow and I'll let you know if the noise is fixed for good. Sure sounded like a lower ball joint to me.

They kept my car for several days, told me it was fixed but the noise still there. I will bring it up to their attention when they fix the water sloshing noise coming from the door sills.

Back