New steering wheel needed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipPip

My i3 has been in the garage for a week while they investigate the drivetrain error message and relentless squeaks and rattles from my dashboard. BMW just called to tell me that "a number of parts need to be replaced including a new steering wheel". This apparently means quite a long delay as many of these parts, including the steering wheel, are on back order status. In the meantime my courtesy Mini has to go back to the dealer as it belongs to them and not BMW. BMW UK will now provide me with a replacement vehicle of some sort. I am yet to find out what. It won't be an i3 though as they outsource this to Enterprise car rentals. Amazing how a single incident of an error message and a squeaky dash can cascade into weeks in the workshop for an i3!!

Well at least BMW are looking after me while I wait for the i3. They provided me with a 320d M Sport estate automatic with every option, literally straight out of the factory (delivery miles on it only). A good car while I wait. Not as much fun as the Mini but a lot more luxurious. Shame about the tractor like engine under the bonnet though!

Finally got my i3 back. Dashboard squeeks all sorted, runs very quietly now. I also have a new steering wheel. Here is the odd thing - I used to find my steering too sensitive at motorway speeds and the car felt literally dangerous. My wife fully agreed with me and refused to drive it on a motorway. BMW have done something to my steering. Its now slightly heavier and slower feeling at motorway speeds and the car feels more planted. No idea what they did, but whatever it was required a new steering wheel and fixed my biggest gripe with car. Maybe they replaced or reprogrammed the steering system. Its now a much more pleasing car to drive.

WIth an electric motor for the power steering, lots of opportunities to tweak the software. Sounds good, let us know how it works out after awhile.

This could pose quite a quandary: do I get the software update with the revised steering or do I avoid it to keep my high powered regeneration........?

PipPip said:
Finally got my i3 back. Dashboard squeeks all sorted, runs very quietly now. I also have a new steering wheel. Here is the odd thing - I used to find my steering too sensitive at motorway speeds and the car felt literally dangerous. My wife fully agreed with me and refused to drive it on a motorway. BMW have done something to my steering. Its now slightly heavier and slower feeling at motorway speeds and the car feels more planted. No idea what they did, but whatever it was required a new steering wheel and fixed my biggest gripe with car. Maybe they replaced or reprogrammed the steering system. Its now a much more pleasing car to drive.

Maybe they just adjusted the tire pressure.

i3atl said:
PipPip said:

Maybe they just adjusted the tire pressure.

Bit patronising, but nope. I had the tyre pressures set correctly and had tried different variations. Tyre pressures made a slight difference to stability but this is more than that.

PipPip said:
Bit patronising, but nope. I had the tyre pressures set correctly and had tried different variations. Tyre pressures made a slight difference to stability but this is more than that.
Sorry, not trying to be patronising, but unless your car had a steering issue, or problem with tire pressures, it wouldn't make sense to describe the steering as dangerous.

I'm glad to hear that you're happier with it now, though.

Back