No brake lights while slowing down under Re-gen

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSoundGuy

Hello all, as an i3 newbie, I don't know if this has come up. I was wondering if there is any sort of brake light that comes on when you're slowing down real fast using the "off the juice pedal" de-acceleration. It was kind of the first thing that came to mind when I bought the car and aggressively slowed down using re-gen. If there's some moron behind me following too close and with my luck, texting too, then how are they going to know that I'm slowing down fast? I seem to rarely touch the brake pedal as probably is the same case with anyone else with these cars. My buddy drove it and he said the same thing in a matter of a few minutes driving and experiencing the re-gen effect. :geek:

If there's not any sort of automatic brake light system for aggressive non- brake slow-downs, wouldn't it make sense to put that into the mix :idea: ? I'm curious if anyone knows anything about that since I cannot drive the car and study the brake lights.

Thanks

There is an accelerometer in the car that measures the rate of deceleration. Slow faster than a set rate and the brake lights come on. They are also connected to a traditional brake light switch for those who use the brake pedal when driving.

WoodlandHills said:
There is an accelerometer in the car that measures the rate of deceleration. Slow faster than a set rate and the brake lights come on. They are also connected to a traditional brake light switch for those who use the brake pedal when driving.

Really? Freakin cool :cool: . I should have known such a cool car would have such tech. I feel a lot better now.

Thanks! :D

I was being followed at night the other day (night!! :D ), and was able to see when my brake lights came on in regen, because they were reflected by the front number plate of the following car. Light regen braking didn't activate them, but significant regen turned them on. I thought the setting of the brake lights was about spot-on.

Back