"No signal" error

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue20

Happy New Year!

Has anyone seen the "No signal" error message in big red letters?

Yesterday, I stopped at a traffic light and the centre console went blank and the error message "No signal" popped up in big red letters. The system seems to reboot itself, as the BMW logo with blue background came back on; the radio cut off and the came back on.

I just had both the Nov2015 software upgrade and airbag recall fix. Not sure if it is a bug in the new software or the centre console didn't put back correctly.

Most all of the electronics get their data inputs over the CANbus...sounds like they did not get one of the plugs seated properly or messed up a lead somewhere. In fact, most of the switches in the car do not directly control anything...they send a message to the central computer, and it sends another one out to the device to tell it to activate.

From what I've seen, it was not a component lost contact, but a system crash and reboot. The "No signal" is a ROM message from the display, not from the iDrive computer.

Blue20 said:
I just had both the Nov2015 software upgrade and airbag recall fix. Not sure if it is a bug in the new software or the centre console didn't put back correctly.
In 8 months of i3 driving, only one software crash and reboot has occurred, and that was after the November update. There was no "No signal" message, only a sudden black screen followed by an obvious reboot, all while driving! Not very reassuring…

Hmm, was thinking of scheduling the November software update but don't want to if there's a reboot bug.

Art, did your reboot affect your driving ability at all?

brorob said:
Art, did your reboot affect your driving ability at all?
I didn't notice the car behaving differently, but I was in an unfamiliar area using navigation to negotiate a series of turns. I almost missed a turn before navigation became usable again, so the system reboot was a minor nuisance. This has happened only once, and I cannot prove that the November update is less stable than the previous July 2014 version, so I do not regret updating.

Back