Not a problem per se. What is auto about climate control?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miyanc

So I bought the car in Dec. Love it so far. Perfect, no. But 1 of the best I have owned. Most of my gripes have a lot to do with expectations. I have owned many brands, I somewhat expected better from BMW, especially a car that was alm9st 60k. In this case, my question is what does putting the ac in auto provide? Let's just discuss comfort mode. So no restrictions. It has a temp number and 1 would assume if you had auto and selected 60 it would adjust something to better reach the desired temp. Like maybe increasing fan speed to push out more temp. And the reverse at 84. So if I put it to 60 and press auto ( the light goes on and off) but what else changes? I know the fan speed can change based on previous setting, but what's the goal of both settings.

BTW I generally leave the vehicle in comfort, not because of driving, but because I don't want my climate to be nerfed. In USA, nc I can go from needing heat in the morning and cold in the afternoon. I am a big weenie on temp. And can't stand the noises associated with windows being down.

It is in the Owner Manual. If you don't have the printed one, there is one stored digitally in the car.
The "goal" of Auto is to reach the Set Temp as quickly as possible based on both interior and exterior ambient conditions. It will adjust which vents to use to accomplish this as well. There is a humidity sensor involved that will engage the A/C to remove excess humidity.

It is in the Owner Manual. If you don't have the printed one, there is one stored digitally in the car.
The "goal" of Auto is to reach the Set Temp as quickly as possible based on both interior and exterior ambient conditions. It will adjust which vents to use to accomplish this as well. There is a humidity sensor involved that will engage the A/C to remove excess humidity.
What specifically changes? Regardless of temp setting the fan speed never changes. Maybe on auto the AC compressor turns on and off, but the same thing happens on manual ( auto button off).

BTW I generally leave the vehicle in comfort, not because of driving, but because I don't want my climate to be nerfed.
Many i3 owners prefer Eco Pro mode because of its less sensitive power pedal mapping during the first half of its travel. However, like you, they also want the full climate control power of Comfort mode rather than the reduced climate control power of Eco Pro mode. Fortunately, BMW has a solution for us, a setting in iDrive that activates full climate control power in Eco Pro mode. I can't recall where this setting is, but you should be able to find it.

"The "goal" of Auto is to reach the Set Temp as quickly as possible"

The OP has a point. In most cars, even budget cars, Auto does exactly that -- gets to the set temp asap. Once the a/c is capable of blowing cold air, the fan will automatically go to max volume, and then back down as the set temperature is approached. In this supposedly premium vehicle, it is up to the driver to make those calculations and manually adjust throughout the cool down process. Agreed that love car, but this was a surprising design choice.

Back