ODB (On Board Diagnostic) Port

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvottero

Does anyone have a photograph of the ODB (aka ODB II) port on the i3?

I'm interested in seeing how some of the ODB products would look if used on a permanent basis on the i3. Many thanks!

I would be happy to take pics if I knew where to look?

Regards Chris

Here is photo of 16 pin ODB-II connector fitted to my UK RHD i3. Happy to take any further shots required.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03mogshln6yt7mw/2014-04-18%2010.42.38.jpg

OBD connector is shown in the manual as on the drivers side between the steering wheel and the driver's side door, and below the lip on the dash. The illustration is not too clear as to if it is under the dash or behind a cover? The manual warning that is is only for use by authorized service technicians. It further warns that "used for other purposes it may disrupt the functions of the vehicle"

If you try using it I would be interested as to what you find and what anyone thinks about using it to attach a insurance company tracking device. Here in the USA several insurance companies offer discounts based on your driving habits, this requires you to attach a device that they provide that tracks your driving style and miles driven.

Chris -- Thanks for offering up to check!

MikeS -- I was thinking about getting a Delphi Connect for the i3. I'm less interested in the analytical features of the device, and more so the 4G LTE Hotspot that it creates.

I actually ordered from BMW the BMW Branded 4G LTE Car Hotspot device (Part #84212336430) -- but I'm unable to get it to work on Verizon in the USA. I'm attracted to ability for the car to access data via 4G LTE, as well as the hot-spot it creates for other devices to connect to in the car.

dvottero said:
Chris -- Thanks for offering up to check!

MikeS -- I was thinking about getting a Delphi Connect for the i3. I'm less interested in the analytical features of the device, and more so the 4G LTE Hotspot that it creates.

I actually ordered from BMW the BMW Branded 4G LTE Car Hotspot device (Part #84212336430) -- but I'm unable to get it to work on Verizon in the USA. I'm attracted to ability for the car to access data via 4G LTE, as well as the hot-spot it creates for other devices to connect to in the car.

Whats with the hot spot device, I am a Verizon customer too, this something I would like to hear more about.

It's a $200 device on a 2 year contract, and costs $10/month:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/devices/delphi-connect.html

It's primary feature is for tracking, controlling, and doing analytics about your vehicle. But what attracts me the most about it is a 4G LTE Hotspot that is on whenever your car is powered on!

dvottero said:
It's a $200 device on a 2 year contract, and costs $10/month:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/devices/delphi-connect.html

It's primary feature is for tracking, controlling, and doing analytics about your vehicle. But what attracts me the most about it is a 4G LTE Hotspot that is on whenever your car is powered on!

Thanks, that looks interesting.

One thing we want to monitor on the new i3 when attaching any device to the ODB port is power draw when the car is not in use. The the 12 volt batteries looks to be very small. Since it is basically only needed to start up the computers it does not need to have much reserve capacity, like a regular ICE car need for cold weather cranking. Thus from experience with my Prius plug-in as well as many other regular Prius owners have experienced a dead 12 volt is far too easily. At least in the Prius, a small extra drain will quickly deplete the 12 volt to where it won't start the computers.

My point is leaving anything attached to the OBD port that draws current continuously, could be problematic. The devices that track your cars usage, like the State Farm Verizon telemetric in-drive system could wind up draining the 12 volt and leaving you in need of a jump start. Many Prius owners complain about the small 12 volt battery and have had bad experiences even without the added load of something new attached to the OBD port.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has any experience with the 12 volt batteries in the i3. I currently use the in-drive system in my car now and am trying to decide if I will install it in my i3 when the time comes. The in-drive unit attaches to the OBD port and must be left in place, it tracks your driving style, but additionally it monitors you car for location and diagnostic purposes such as 12 volt batteries condition, engine warning light ect...

One thing to keep in mind on the 12vdc battery...it is charged from a dc-dc power supply, powered by the main battery, and only when the vehicle is on or being charged. You should not try to recharge it with a 12vdc charging unit, you'll probably burn something up.

If your 12vdc battery has died, and you plug in the EVSE, before the main battery actually can start to work, there's a backup 12vdc charging circuit that deals with the 12vdc battery, and when that has enough charge, it then powers up the computers and the main battery can begin to be recharged and it takes over recharging the 12vdc battery.

Back