P vs Start/Stop ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfontaine07

I never press Park. Is there any difference btw that and the Start/Stip button?

The car goes off once u open the door anyway!

If not manually engaged, Park will automatically engage when the car leaves Ready state by a press of the Start/Stop button. This engages a parking pawl that prevents the drive train from rotating unlike the parking brake that engages the rear brakes.

sfontaine07 said:
I never press Park. Is there any difference btw that and the Start/Stip button?

The car goes off once u open the door anyway!
The short answer is no difference. Park just leaves the car "on" and in Park, while Stop turns it Off and engages Park.

To piggyback off your thread...

I notice that when I put the car in park it usually inches forward a slight bit, even if the car was fully stopped either through regen or having my foot on the brake. My CTS ICE exhibited similar behavior when I let my foot off the brake after setting the parking gear, but I was not expecting this in the i3. Am I doing something wrong?

This is not uncommon if the car is on any sort of incline and not perfectly level. The parking pawl has a little slop in it. IF you want the car to stay perfectly where it is, engage the parking brake before you go to park.

Back