Power windows opened half way itself after turned off

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvincrunch

Parked at the restaurant tonite and realized both power windows were half way down after dinner. It was a windy and rainy nite and my wife and I were 100% sure both power windows were shut before turning off the i3. Wonder if any owner experienced this before.

Like many of us I expect you have experienced the problem with the key fob buttons being easily pressed while in your pocket. Otherwise I have lowered my windows accidentally when leaving the car as my hand has rested on the down buttons on the inner door handle.

MikeS said:
Like many of us I expect you have experienced the problem with the key fob buttons being easily pressed while in your pocket. Otherwise I have lowered my windows accidentally when leaving the car as my hand has rested on the down buttons on the inner door handle.

So there is a combo on the fob that could trigger the window open function?

Probably, but I don’t know what it is! Just found my windows down once and as I have accidentally locked and unlocked the car and ‘closed’ the wing mirrors when the keys have been in my pocket then I assumed this was the cause. I have also opened the windows by mistake when leaving the car as I pressed on the window buttons set in the drivers door - but i did notice this at the time.

If you press and HOLD the unlock button, the windows will go down in addition to unlocking the doors. I had this happen at random, and solved it by buying the plastic cover. Since I have comfort access, I put the fob in it with the buttons covered. Personally, I think the fob has a design fault...the unlock button is right along the edge. All other fobs I've owned, the unlock button was more in the middle of the fob and thus protected at least a bit more. If you actually use the fob to also carry other keys, you have to make a new hole in the cover to match up with the one in the fob for the keyring since it is offset and not in the right place when installed backwards, but, the fob is symmetrical, so the cover does fit either way.

I just had this happen to me this aftenoon. I'll have to try to open the windows with the fob tomorrow as I completely forgot about that feature (not much use for it in the winter)

Kelvincrunch said:
Parked at the restaurant tonite and realized both power windows were half way down after dinner. It was a windy and rainy nite and my wife and I were 100% sure both power windows were shut before turning off the i3. Wonder if any owner experienced this before.

I had that problem on a year old BMW 3 series. They said it was me pressing to fob by accident. I said how so, the fob was inside the house on a key rack. They found it was a motor in the door. They changed the motor and now all is good. Just saying. Btw, waiting for my i3 I just ordered.

I've had the same problem several times. Twice when it was pouring with rain overnight! I'm not convinced by this accidental pressing the unlock button for a long time diagnosis, and I've tried reversing the luminous fob cover, too.
The garage said winding the windows down after a long press on the unlock button is a "feature" on all BMWs, so they can program the car to stop it happening. They re-programmed it and it didn't fix the problem! :evil:
I had that problem on a year old BMW 3 series. They said it was me pressing to fob by accident. I said how so, the fob was inside the house on a key rack. They found it was a motor in the door. They changed the motor and now all is good. Just saying.
Now THAT'S interesting! I'm going back to the garage. :D

There's always a possibility of a hardware fault, but in my case, I've not had the windows open since I reversed the fob cover. The cover is still flexible enough, such that it could still happen...you'd have to just press a little harder. Really depends on several things...what you carry in your pockets, and how hard they are, and how tight your pants are!

Back