Pre-conditioning Value vs Cost

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Normal" wall plugs in the USA are 120vac, so we only get a level 1 unit, at 12A, so a charge rate of 120*12, or 1440W. Even with the low capacity level 2 units sold in the rest of the world, 240*12 is twice the rate. It's still less than what the car wants to warm the batteries and the cabin (I've seen 20A draw at 245v, or 20*245=4900W, peak), which is why you won't have a full charge at the end, but it will be closer on a level 2 unit verses the level 1 we get. IMHO, if you live in a cold area, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't get a full-capacity level 2 unit. Warmer areas can more easily live with a level one unit, or the OEM one that comes with the car in the rest of the world. There will likely be times when you want to go out again after coming home with a low battery SOC...a level 1 unit doesn't cut it, which is why they call it an occasional use unit. It can be a major hassle if you live in an area without a garage or the ability to install a level 2 unit. I live in a condo, and had to petition hard to get permission to install mine, but I succeeded.

jadnashuanh said:
"Normal" wall plugs in the USA are 120vac, so we only get a level 1 unit, at 12A, so a charge rate of 120*12, or 1440W. Even with the low capacity level 2 units sold in the rest of the world, 240*12 is twice the rate. It's still less than what the car wants to warm the batteries and the cabin (I've seen 20A draw at 245v, or 20*245=4900W, peak), which is why you won't have a full charge at the end, but it will be closer on a level 2 unit verses the level 1 we get. IMHO, if you live in a cold area, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't get a full-capacity level 2 unit. Warmer areas can more easily live with a level one unit, or the OEM one that comes with the car in the rest of the world. There will likely be times when you want to go out again after coming home with a low battery SOC...a level 1 unit doesn't cut it, which is why they call it an occasional use unit. It can be a major hassle if you live in an area without a garage or the ability to install a level 2 unit. I live in a condo, and had to petition hard to get permission to install mine, but I succeeded.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back