Pre-conditioning with 110v charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatguy

I currently live in a rented condo and use a 110V outlet with the charger than came with the i3.

When I pre-condition the car, I've noted that the Charging light on the charger is not illuminated and my range seems to be lower when I've pre-conditioned than if I don't pre-condition. Has anyone else tried pre-conditioning with the 110v charger and noticed if the "Charging" light is illuminated or not?

I believe the theory behind pre-conditioning is that the power to heat the car and to heat up the battery pack will come from the wall power rather than the battery so that range is marginally extended (also nice to get into a warm car in winter). I'm fairly certain that the car is not charging the battery while pre-conditioning (sometimes called a Float charge in other battery applications when power is added to maintain a full charge rather than reach full charge).

The pre-conditioning behavior was discussed in a prior thread. Based on my observations (and recollection of that discussion) pre-conditioning draws power from the battery. Once the activity uses a few percent (I can't recall how much) charging resumes. Given how charging slows as the battery approaches 100% there's probably not much difference between 240v and 110v. I'm living with 110v at my condo also. If I go down a bit early or right at the set departure time, the car will be charging. But if I'm late, say 20 minutes or more after departure time, the charge port LED will be green.

We now precondition with the Level 1 (110V) charge cable due to the "clacking" noise from the Level 2 EVSE (See separate post re this).
We charge the batteries to full with the Level 2 then switch to the Level 1 for precon. Seems to work fine.

Back