pre conditioning

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyleeds

help please..... I have 2020 i3

its seems to be temperamental when trying to start it in the morning..... for some reason, even when plugged in and the preconditioning options are ticked, it doesn't seem to want to play ball? drive train alert pops up on th dash

I have replaced the 12 volt battery as someone told me that they can start affecting stuff when they are on the way out but that doesnt seem to have achieved anything.....

I have being unable to start the car, it then decides 10 mins later that it will go into drive, and work normally? I have also tried to test the pre conditioner in the middle of the day and it seems to work, it just overnight when it's cooler that it seems to not work?

any ideas?

cheers

by "PreCondition" are you referring to Climatizing the Cabin with the heater/air conditioning? This can be done on-demand.
or Pre-Conditioning the HV Battery pack? This must be scheduled a MINIMUM of 3hrs in advance of a Departure Time.

both, im aware of what needs to be done etc but it seems to not always do it, last night I put the car in the garage rather than leaving it outside in the cold and it worked fine...... I t was making two types of noise I think..... one was the blower in the cabin and one im assuming was pre heating main battery........

so maybe its something to do with the outside temp? but its just had a new 12v battery so it can't be that?

Being a 2020 it should still be under warranty no?

Getting the drivetrain error seems like there's more of an issue than just a pre-con problem.

It dropped out of warranty in September..... I parked in it the garage and it worked fine this morning so it seems that the cold is affecting it some how? im going to get bmw assist out to have a look at it see what they say.....

andyleeds said:
so maybe its something to do with the outside temp? but its just had a new 12v battery so it can't be that?

For whatever it's worth, it seems somewhat common for "new" batteries to not always be fully charged so unless you charged the battery before installing it, the 12v *might* still be suspect.

andyleeds said:
It was making two types of noise I think..... one was the blower in the cabin and one im assuming was pre heating main battery........

Was one of the noises a compressor sound? If so, I assume the heat-pump/AC compressor was working correctly... Not sure what would cause it to work intermittently. Maybe compressor on the fritz or borderline low on freon and warmer air increases pressure just enough to engage?

Back