Preconditioning failure - no communication with car

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasleinstein

Does anyone have luck with the app communicating with the i3?. At best my app connects with the car %30 of the time. Even when I think it works, I get a "Preconditioning Execution status unknown. " message. I have taken the car in to the dealer three times to have the system reset. Having these constant failures is bad, having to take the car to the dealer to have the system reset is absurd.

It may be because of where you are parking and the vehicle's ability to make a solid cellular connection. I know that if I'm parked in my garage, that happens sometimes, but not if it is parked outside. Some people that park in large, underground parking garages all have that issue unless there is a microcell or repeater installed to extend the cellular range within the structure (not all that common). If you can't make a solid phone call from the car where it is parked, that is the issue. Note your signal strength, and keep in mind, the weather and who knows what can affect it if you are in the margins of coverage. You may run into similar issues with the traffic info display on the nav...first, it's not reported everywhere, and in some places, you just couldn't receive it if it was!

If you're a U.S. i3er, here's a checklist from the Facebook i3 files section. Pulling the fuse is a last resort.

"Troubleshooting iRemote issues (USA)
By Mary Demarest-Paraan on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 11:29pm
From least severe to most severe: At your own risk!

Note: Do not go to bmw-connecteddrive.com as there is no USA access.

Check the iDrive to make sure you still have the BMW Assist and internet options under the Connected Drive menu. If you see "Service not enabled or Contract Expired" contact your salesperson to have them reinstate your services in their computer. Mine unexpectedly expired on exactly my 9 month anniversary of having the car and all the menu options disappeared. SoS representative referred me back to my salesperson and were unable to help. Once my salesperson entered it in the computer, everything reappeared and my app started working again on it's own.

1. Force quit and reopen the app.
2. Delete the app and reinstall it on your phone.
3. Press the SoS button on the overhead console and ask the rep to unlock your account. They might reset your password. They might tell you that it takes 15 mins but just tell them to wait while you try it.
4. Press SoS button and ensure your account is properly set up.
5. Press SoS button and ask representative to edit your account to ensure there is only ONE name and ONE email associated with your account. Have them remove all others.
6. Ensure the GPS check box is enabled in the iDrive.
7. Go into iDrive menu in car > Connected Drive > BMW Assist > Option Button (next to round idrive knob) > Update Service.
8. Go to dealer and ask for them to reset the TCB (Telematics Communication Box) located under the rear seat cushion.
9. Pull fuse #115 for a few minutes to reset the TCB yourself. Instructions for locating fuse box is in owner's manual, page 191. Verify that the car is off and not plugged in before pulling the fuse."

FWIW, I don't know what else may be on the fuse, but 'resetting' the module usually consists of removing the rear seat, reaching in, pulling the power/data plug out, then reinserting it, then threading the silly seatbelt anchors through the seat cover so you can reinstall the seat properly...those plugs are not designed to be removed and replaced many times...much easier to just pull the fuse if all else fails. I find that preferable to removing the seat and the plug.

Personally, my device rarely corrupts the application file. If rebooting your remote device doesn't fix it, deleting and reloading the app probably won't fix it either. I do not know what causes it, but sometimes, the silly telecommunication module just gets stuck in a loop. I had gone through all of those steps numerous times (prior to 8-9 above) and nothing worked...the app's data would go blank when they reset my accont, then would come back with the same old data - the mileage indication had not changed in over a week despite being driven daily, and it said the vehicle was locked when I was sitting in it with the door unlocked...but, all that went blank when reset, then got restored to that 'old' data by the car until I forced a reset on the module by powering it down.

Back