Preconditioning of the battery while driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topek

Hi folks,

I was reading all the posting regarding baterry preaheating.
So generally only possible while connected to charging and departure time is set.

I am living in the area where I cannot easily charge my i3 (2014, 60Ah). Central Europe. Cold.

Question: If i will drive 100km and charge on the next DC charger will the battery become warm (outside around 0 degree celsius) or only the cabin?

I plugged recently my cold i3 to a DC charger and maximum speed was 22KW (not 50KW) that are possible.
I have to drive 600km so the charging speed is directly impacting my travel time (5x charging).

My experience while DC Charging is that the car cannot be "on" with the cabin heater running. Everything must be OFF during DC Charging. You may find that the battery will warm up slightly but not that much. My first experience DC charging was when temp was about -6C and the max speed was 16kW. This slowly increased to 28kW over 40 minutes but I never checked the actual battery temp before and after.

If i will drive 100km
I have not checked the battery temperature in mine either, but I think it's fair to assume that the battery will have warmed up a fair bit after 100km of driving.

Of course, the amount of heating will depend on how you drive, as well as a number of other factors such the air temperature - I would be interested to know if anyone here has measured how much their battery temperatures rise in that type of situation.

Back