Preconditioning problem with latest (2016) software update

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SustainableMe

Hi all

I got the software update (June 2016) and have been having issues with preconditioning on a L2 charger since (one at work I have used for years). The car accepts the departure time, and it shows up on the app, but when I get to the car to leave for home - nothing.

I haven't done a lot of trouble shooting, but it did precondition correctly once when I set the departure time to a time before I expected it to be fully charged. It will also work fine if I check the climate control box when exiting the vehicle.

I've also noted that the AC (comfort mode) will stop blowing cold air for 15 seconds or so if I punch the electron pedal. And yesterday, during an exceptionally hot day in upstate NY (90+), it took a full 15 minutes for the air to blow consistently cold. That hasn't happened in a while, almost reminiscent of the AC problems with the early 2014 models.

Thought I would check here before contacting the dealer (who may not even be aware preconditioning needs to be set 3 hours before departure...) to get an idea of how long it might take them to track down the problem.

Cheers

I leave work at 5pm. The car is connected to a L2 charger.

I set my departure time as 5pm every weekday.

It's been working. I have the batteries warmed up, and cabin cooled/heated when I leave.

I don't think you need to set it to 2pm in my instance.

Are you not getting the batteries warmed up or cabin cooled/heated?

Back