Preheat from battery whilst plugged into the wallbox

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie94bc

When I unlocked my i3 this morning, the light around the charging port flashed red, and despite charging to 100% the night before. It had preheated from the battery this morning as opposed from the wallbox.

Not quite sure what might have caused this, it had rained overnight but I'm pretty sure the charging port should be weatherproof! It's charging okay now too.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Will let you know in the mooring as I am attempting my first overnight charge with pre-conditioning on. Struggled all day to get the settings on the car/phone correct to enable this and needed the help of my dealer's i3 expert to sort me out.

Yes, mine did this once about a week ago. I noticed on the app that it was flashing red, and when I unlocked the car, the led around the charge port also flashed red. It hasn't done it since though. We'd had a power cut the day before - I wondered if there'd been another overnight which had upset the electronics somehow.

Same here!
The only "red flash" episode I had was 4 days ago and coincided with a fuse blowing on another line the day before.
My guess is that red flash is more a security than a problem in this case.

Mine was fine this morning, despite the windy and rainy weather overnight. Wasn't as warm when I got in though as I was a little late!

I presume it only stays warm for 10 minutes after your departure time?

Hi
I have just phoned i3 uk helpdesk to ask about this issue. Most mornings preheat works well. But I am puzzled about what happens if you decide to depart at a different time and activate the cabin preheat manualy from the app? it appears to then use battery power for this despite still being plugged in.

I have the winter pack and heat pump and so I am also interested in what happens to the battery on very cold mornings? does it pre-heat the battery too?

I notice you can program the "diamond" button on the key to switch the heating on. Seems that getting iRemote up & running is still a pain so that's a useful workaround for now. I wonder if the wall box switches back on once the battery is fully charged - I noticed last night that the preheat was on the battery even though the car was plugged in. Disconnecting & reconnecting started the wall box up again. I hope it's more sophisticated than that! :shock:

Fred

Back