Problems with unused REX parked for a year?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodomo

Friend is considering a leftover 2014 REX that's been sitting at a Minnesota dealer since July 2014 (nearly a year)! Since this past winter was quite harsh, the car likely sat in the frozen snow for months. The car only has 11 miles on it, and the dealer log sheet for battery & maintenance is blank.

When my friend started the car today, the screen said "REX maintenance needed due to long inactivity, but battery is insufficient to perform the maintenance".

Is it bad that the car was unused and parked for extended periods in sub-freezing temperatures without any REX or battery maintenance?

nodomo said:
Friend is considering a leftover 2014 REX that's been sitting at a Minnesota dealer since July 2014 (nearly a year)! Since this past winter was quite harsh, the car likely sat in the frozen snow for months. The car only has 11 miles on it, and the dealer log sheet for battery & maintenance is blank.

When my friend started the car today, the screen said "REX maintenance needed due to long inactivity, but battery is insufficient to perform the maintenance".

Is it bad that the car was unused and parked for extended periods in sub-freezing temperatures without any REX or battery maintenance?

Can't say anything to Minnesota cold but mine was sitting in a dealer in Maryland for same period of time. So far it is showing absolutely no ill impact from the battery or the Rex.

Just because the battery maintenance log is blank doesn't necessarily mean that the 12 v. battery wasn't charged periodically. If the traction battery wasn't full or near empty, it is probably fine. But regardless, warranties cover both batteries, so if this i3 can be purchased or leased under favorable terms, go for it.

This generation of i3 is subject to the whooping noise if it has the 20" wheels and tires. Take it for a test drive on a smooth road and listen. It is the only defect that BMW cannot repair since they are unsure of the cause, so you had better hope your car is not one of the affected ones.

Back