Programming to request / questions at delivery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericblz

With luck my car should be arriving in the next week.

Is there certain programming I might want to request? When I took delivery of my Mini Cooper there were many options that needed tweaking like how the doors unlocked when turning off the car, etc.

Any other advice on taking delivery is welcome, too - I am new to both BMW and the i3.

Thank you!

Eric

You'll need to programme your 8 "favourites" buttons across the top of the dash.

I have my favourite two radio stations, plus immediate family phone numbers and one for selecting the REx motor.

Remember these selections, and some others, are specific to the key which is in the car at the time - you need to programme the 2 keys separately.

There's also some setting up to do on the satnav, if you want the full 3D experience and junction layouts you need to set it up in split screen. I drove a round for a week thinking it was a primitive system until someone on here helped me out.

Perhaps I'm a bit dense - but I find the germanic language and logic of the manual and iDrive instructions rather non-intuitive.

ericblz said:
Is there certain programming I might want to request? When I took delivery of my Mini Cooper there were many options that needed tweaking like how the doors unlocked when turning off the car, etc.

Any other advice on taking delivery is welcome, too - I am new to both BMW and the i3.

I went through the same thing with my Mini. There is nothing to select with the i3 at the dealer... everything is set via iDrive.

Check out the pre-delivery/new user checklist on the Facebook i3 group.

Eventually, there may be some 'presets' that can be changed via hacking that aren't available in the menus, as is true for other BMW vehicles for those brave enough to venture in there (things like maybe folding the mirrors when locked, deleting the nav warning message, etc.). But, there is a pretty large variety of things BMW does let you customize on the i3, fairly easily, if you're not baffled by the menu structure.

ericblz said:
With luck my car should be arriving in the next week.

Thank you!

Eric

Insist on a good test drive. .. the guy who delivered mine had never been in an i3 before and pretty much left it up to me what I wanted to do after we went through his checklist.
I did about 10 mile drive to make sure all ok as far as I could.

Somewhere on here is a link to Tom's blog where he has a list of all the things you should make sure happen before you leave the dealer - like getting the Connections account set up. I think that would be very worthwhile reading as it had a lot of little things that the dealer doesn't have in his checklist.

Thank you all for the help!

For future readers, Tom's blog post is at:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/06/bmw-i3-delivery-tips.html

of notable mention is the fact that when shipped, the air-conditioning and charging are disabled and need to be turned on by the dealer!

Back