Proof that good things come to those who wait

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lemonypye said:
Stevei3 said:
So... is it, besides very orange ;) , good ?

Regards, Steven

I've had a little time to play around in the last 24 hours and have the following observations to make. However, I think the coming week, will allow me to form a more accurate appraisal of the REX. Anyway, here goes.

1 - I deliberately drove home from the dealer with the charge hold set at 75%. This worked exactly as desired, and I arrived home after about 40 miles with approx 60 miles of EV motoring available.

2 - the sound of the REX motor inside the car is incredibly well muted. Unless you deliberately listen out for the noise, it's difficult to know the REX is engaged. The same cannot be said outside the car. It does sound like an angry wasp. But it's worth remembering that the benefit of charge hold, means that you can use the REX when cruising along A roads and motorways, then turn it off when you want to roam peacefully around B roads and town centres on pure EV.

3 - I'm still getting to grips with the idrive system, but boy, does it seem comprehensive. I've set the car to be pre conditioned to leave tomorrow morning at 6 am, ready for the cruise to work. I'll report back later as to the success of this :). I still don't have any details for logging on to the app, but I assume this will arrive shortly.

4 - The build quality is much better than the pre-release demonstrators, it feels very solid, and there isn't a squeak or creak to be heard.

5 - My BMW charge box, seems to clunk a bit as if some massive solanoid's are switching. I'll continue to monitor it over the coming days and weeks, but hopefully this is nothing to worry about.

6 - If you're not bothered about 'conserving energy' this car goes like stink :). It's disconcerting how fast you can be going without a second thought, thanks in large to the lack of a noisy engine revving to give you some sense of the pace you are making.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Chris.

Congrats, glad you like it, it's great isn't it? Good post - can't comment on 1 or 2, but:

3 - agree, there's a lot to learn, I'm at about 95% knowledge after almost a month & 1000 miles I reckon! It's still brilliant to come down to a warm car in the morning. I'd phone connected drive & tell them you've been waiting for ages, they seemed happy to give me the iphone login details straight away when I did.

4 - also agree, but how are your rear doors? Do they need a slam before they register as closed, like mine?

5 - mine clunks away while it's figuring out if the car's locked, and if it's off peak yet & therefore time to start charging.

6 - it's easy to be going much faster than you think, but the beauty is that doing it silently doesn't attract attention!

Have fun - time for a meet soon, surely? I'll be at the Ace Cafe again tomorrow night, if anyone's in this neck of the woods.

I have also had mine now for a week and I have learnt that:

1) I always really really hope that someone in V12 Aston or similar pulls up along side me at traffic lights

2) I am glad I went for a car that has black carpets and mats

3) People tend to stare a lot - I am guessing that Solar Orange doesn't help matters.

4) You will be asked to give all your friends and colleagues a test drive - but is great fun to see their reaction as their spines are compressed by the acceleration

5) I make sure I am in comfort mode when driving along motorways - I didn't appreciate the speed limiter when trying to overtake

6) Connected drive does take a bit of effort to set up but boy is it worth it to step into a nice warm car on an early wet winter's morning

7) It has taken me nearly a week to work out how to work my iPhone through the media controller but music sounds great through the Harmon Kardon speakers

8) Driving with the seat heating on and the climate control switched off is actually quite pleasant

9) I never seem to start the day with a 100% charge - there is always a bit of blue missing on the fourth charging bar

10) I feel an accute sense of failure if I ever have to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a stop

Davidfromdigswell said:
I have also had mine now for a week and I have learnt that:

1) I always really really hope that someone in V12 Aston or similar pulls up along side me at traffic lights

2) I am glad I went for a car that has black carpets and mats

3) People tend to stare a lot - I am guessing that Solar Orange doesn't help matters.

4) You will be asked to give all your friends and colleagues a test drive - but is great fun to see their reaction as their spines are compressed by the acceleration

5) I make sure I am in comfort mode when driving along motorways - I didn't appreciate the speed limiter when trying to overtake

6) Connected drive does take a bit of effort to set up but boy is it worth it to step into a nice warm car on an early wet winter's morning

7) It has taken me nearly a week to work out how to work my iPhone through the media controller but music sounds great through the Harmon Kardon speakers

8) Driving with the seat heating on and the climate control switched off is actually quite pleasant

9) I never seem to start the day with a 100% charge - there is always a bit of blue missing on the fourth charging bar

10) I feel an accute sense of failure if I ever have to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a stop
That's pretty comprehensive - I especially like/agree with 10!

Back