Range and SOC "evaporation" while parked

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanSerif

OK, I'm gathering more data now.

The question I'm trying answer is whether the i3 has any vampiric tendencies as per the Tesla. What I have noticed is that SOC and predicted range *do* change while parked, turned off and not plugged in - and I've not noticed that change to ever be an increase! Only a couple of dozen data points so far but I'm commonly seeing 2% (and commensurate predicted range) evaporate while parked for four hours.

My thoughts:

A) maybe there is some power draw; but it does seem rather a high rate.
B) without a temperature controlled environment - how can I draw any conclusions with so little data?
C) batteries warm up and perk up when driven but cool down and lose enthusiasm while parked?
D) something else.

Either way, it's not a problem level - I'm just trying to figure out how these EVs work and perform. Will keep recording data - but grateful for any other observations (with the i3 or EVs in general).

Our 2013 Leaf does not drop from 100% indicated after sitting for a day. The longest I've left it sitting is 4 full days, in 20-35F temps, and it lost 1% according to the SoC display.

2% over four hours does seem excessive.

Was it locked? I had some issues with pre cabin heating where the battery was used not the Mains supply on charging.

Unless I've screwed up (entirely possible), everything's off. Most readings I have in this state are when parked up at work: drive to work, put it in park mode and record distance travelled, SOC and predicted range. When I return some hours later (not many, I'm an idle sod and go home for lunch), I'll find the SOC has reduced a little bit and the predicted miles have changed (these sometimes go up).

I do have a very short drive to work[1] between 3 and 5 miles depending on route so maybe the car hasn't "settled" from being charged and maybe any pre-conditioning I've done hasn't "worn off".

[1] Mrs SS will have the car for her more meaningful 15 mile e/w commute when I've stopped playing with it. :(

To get back to your original post: the right answer is probably C.

I've noticed that with cold weather (close to or below zero) I lose anywhere between 2% and 6% in range when not pre-conditioned while connected to the mains.

Hello! My first post on the forum (just joined today - born electric on April 30th)

I was on holiday for a week just after I got my car three days - the battery was at 61% and did not even move 1% after the full week (parked outside with about 10 degrees C on avg).
The range does fluctuate every now and then (even without battery % changing) but I have not figured out why that is the case - seems a bit unpredictable.

What I think is that the i3 being a connected car, it takes the weather into consideration when calculating the range. Maybe this is why we have a weather widget giving us local forecast. For now it is just an assumption and I can't wait to confirm if this is true when wintertime comes.

Back