Range Extenders for EV's....

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srinivas

Hi,

I am Srinivas, a master's student in Automotive Technology at Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands). In our group, we have undertake a project to formulate concepts for optimizing range extenders for Electric Vehicles. Range Extenders are novel, in a way that they extend the reach of an Electric Vehicle (similar to Hybrids). The idea is to collect the user thoughts on this technology, and make it more user oriented. Hence, I have come up with a survey for the same, and request you to help me find the answers:). The http://goo.gl/forms/b7oOprRtSS is the link of this survey. Pl do take an attempt at answering these questions. Cheers!!!

Hi Srinivas,

One question you survey doesn't ask is would you like a bigger fuel tank in your current REX. I think 100% of REX owners would say at least double the current 9 litres would be better. But you need to read up on the CARB Rules for sales in USA. Apparently they can't have the fuel range higher than electric range. But why we have to suffer in Europe I don't know.

IF you can select the right motor - an option to remove REX fully would be good. I looked into building a EV with REX a few years back and Kawasaki GPZ500 motor looked a good option. Light enough to lift out of a car and only be fitted when required ;)

srinivas said:
...formulate concepts for optimizing range extenders for Electric Vehicles. Range Extenders are novel, in a way that they extend the reach of an Electric Vehicle (similar to Hybrids). The idea is to collect the user thoughts on this technology...

To collect thoughts - the feedback method (comparing your directed question survey to using a owner forum) needs to be less directed. Your solution is only narrowed down after listening to the range of open feedback.

Concerning the after market Rex you are attempting to design / optimize:
- what are the concept limits:
(does it have to be petrol? Maybe diesel, natural gas or bigger battery)

drop in larger battery to extend range using space planned for a "Rex".
(charge after main battery is full, charge via PV)

How much control should the end user have with Rex operation?
- when to engage / disengage
- Auto stop function, inter-city driving, out on the motorway.
- fuel storage options (size, type, pressurize, location, access, changeability )
- performance settings, rpm, re-charge rate, idle, vehicle speed.

Monitoring: Temp, re-charge rate, rpm, fuel usage rate, tank pressure.

Consumer environmental convictions: Want a Rex but not at the cost of more pollution.
Want the roof mounted solar PV to only trickle charge the "Range extension battery" over a long period until needed.

What is the best Rex option for the customer?
My opinion is a system (if fuel is used) where fuel storage can be over a very long period of time and require minimum service. The system is fully customer configurable (SOC% value, high/low output re-charging level, enable / disable, monitoring current/temperature)

Maybe a antibacterial treated winter blend diesel fuel (or biodiesel) in a pressurized tank for small diesel genset used as a Rex. Urea is added to exhaust output to reduce emission. Fuel stores much longer than petrol. Rex can be engaged at customers request to ensure customer confidence of fault free operation before setting out for a trip. Rex range can improved with a selection customer interchangable tank sizes. The little backup tank or the once a year long trip tank.

Thought?

Back