Range issues

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaerpai3

My i3 now is app 2 montgs in use and the range is getting shorter and shorter. A full charge des not go further than 100 km's max. Where it should do app 145 according to sales documentation.
I have had issues with the measurement of available range in diplay and the actual usage, and these were fixed with a software update, but the shortfall in a max range s getting worse it feels.
Does anyone experience similar issues?

I am getting about 100k this time of year but less is easily possible if you drive fast! I think the range estimate is pretty good but probably the number of bars of power is a better indicator of remaining capacity.

I drove 1200 KM now, and i get between 110 and 125 predicted km every time. Depending on the weather the car uses some more ore less. My averge speed is about 70 km/h for a distance of 65 KM, twice a day.

Simon said:
I drove 1200 KM now, and i get between 110 and 125 predicted km every time. Depending on the weather the car uses some more ore less. My averge speed is about 70 km/h for a distance of 65 KM, twice a day.

Thanks Simon, that is useful info, and significantly better than what I get out of it. Mine is now down to max 85 km from one chargelad, even in EcoPro and avg 55km/hr. It is now back at the dealer waiting for a sparepart with unknown delivery time. Hope that will ultimately fx the problem.

Despite i am doing better, i really expected it to be easier to do more on one load. I really focus on driving to get the highest range possible.

I also have issues, for example; the car is not 100% full after pre-heating, it's f.e.: 97%.
And do not seem to get the full 32A when charging.

shaerpai3 said:
Simon said:

Thanks Simon, that is useful info, and significantly better than what I get out of it. Mine is now down to max 85 km from one chargelad, even in EcoPro and avg 55km/hr. It is now back at the dealer waiting for a sparepart with unknown delivery time. Hope that will ultimately fx the problem.

shaerpai3 - It sounds like your issue would be worth listing in the Problems/Troubleshooting thread to help any others that suffer with this symptom. Do you know what part the dealer is going to change?

MikeS, te component to be replaced is the computer that manages the battery pack. This seems to be responsable for charging and consumption mngt.

My experience is the opposite. Average length increased from 130 to 140 km. One important thing is of course driving style. The second is the tire pressure. BMW provides to low pressure. Increase to 4 pounds.

shaerpai3 said:
MikeS, te component to be replaced is the computer that manages the battery pack. This seems to be responsable for charging and consumption mngt.
Thanks for the info. Once you know the full story could you post summary in the Problems/Troubleshooting area? It could be useful if others get similar symptoms.

Back