Range vs temperature

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunter

Hi all

I've read a lot about the range of electric vehicles being affected by ambient temperatures but have so far failed to notice this on my i3. Back in April I did a winter run of 60 miles with no a/c apart from occasional demisting at temperatures less than 10 C, and had 30 miles range left at the end. Yesterday I did a run at 20-24 C with occasional AC (probably more on than in winter) and got the same range. So is the extra range from the battery just swallowed up by using the AC a bit more?

Has anyone else with a BEV with a heat pump and working AC noticed that even once you switch off the AC that the ventilation cooling from ambient for a long time after you switch the AC off? Like 20 mins in mine.

Regards

Bill

You can minimize any range hits in cold weather by preconditioning the i3 while it is plugged in. THen, it will also depend on how long your trip is, and how often it needs to be warmed back up again, verses just keep going once it has warmed up the first time. The heat pump is more efficient than resistive heating. At least in the USA, all of the vehicles come with the heat pump. You might want to consider resisting the seat heaters for max range (resistive - one watt in, one watt of heat verses one watt in, maybe 3 watts out with the heat pump). The a/c in the summer can be a fair hit, too, so with preconditioning, it may not be a huge difference come winter.

SO, it's hard to say how much of a hit you'll take, as it depends on your use and the specific weather (and options).

Back