Rattling glove box lid! (Any ideas on how to tighten?)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilHopkins

WE've got a rattly glove box lid on our i3 - it doesn't do it all the time and it's worst at under 30mph.

There are 2x lilttle screws inside the lid - I've tightened these but it didn't make much of a difference.

Has anyone else had this and, if so, how did you fix it? It's really annoying - like a mosquito buzzing...

It's 100% the glove box lid on the left hand side as even the slightest touch from your hand will stop it doing it while driving along!

could be that the lid is slightly warped. If so, there is no adjustment. Try using some thin foam tape or self-stick velcro bits (the soft fuzzy part) and put a few around the rim, either on the lid itself or the tray. You could narrow it down by seeing if one side or the other is dampened more by your hand. Put the bits on that side. Not too thick. You might only need a small piece.

Thanks! If I put my hand on the left side - even with virtually no pressure - it stops! Pressure on the right also stops it...

What could have warped it? The car is only about 15 months old or so

NeilHopkins said:
Thanks! If I put my hand on the left side - even with virtually no pressure - it stops! Pressure on the right also stops it...

What could have warped it? The car is only about 15 months old or so

Try putting 1/4" foam strips (one side has adhesive) under the lip of the glovebox. It preloads the latch when engaged. The glovebox on this car is infamous for rattling...as is the passenger side air vent.

I've gone as far as lining the inside of the lid with foam and tape but it's just poor design. A lot of squeaking also comes from the springs of the lid.

Had same issue on our 2015 i3. Used a bit of silicone lube along edge of glovebox door. It has been several years without rattle/buzz. Cheap fix.

After taking inspiration from above I fixed my rattle by fixing a couple of adhesive felts pads (from ebay to put under wooden chair legs) on each side of the front of the glove box (not the lid). This creates just enought tension to remove the rattle. Took 30 seconds - cost less than £2.

I do have to push the lid down with a bit more firmness now - but easy effective fix

After taking inspiration from above I fixed my rattle by fixing a couple of adhesive felts pads (from ebay to put under wooden chair legs) on each side of the front of the glove box (not the lid). This creates just enought tension to remove the rattle. Took 30 seconds - cost less than £2.

I do have to push the lid down with a bit more firmness now - but easy effective fix
Any chance of a picture of the location you put these. Just trying to visualise where you put them.

Back