Recirculate button reverts back to Auto

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW4Me

I just happened to notice that when I engage the recirculate function--by pressing the button and having the right side LED illuminated--it reverts back to Auto (with left side LED illuminated) within approximately 30 seconds.

My experience with every other BMW which I've owned is that it will stay in recirculate mode indefinitely. I always wondered if it was safe for the driver (and passengers) to not have fresh air, but I was assured that it was not a problem.

Could it be that the i3 is more hermetically sealed in order to minimize cabin heating/cooling loss?

Fairly sure they all do this. The timing of when the i3 auto switches from recirculation to fresh air depends on environmental conditions — air temperature and other sensors. It's to mitigate window fogging and drowsiness from breathing too much CO2. Fresh air keeps you more alert.

I find the HVAC in our i3 to be marginal at best: even in Comfort mode it gets stuffy with three or more adults inside. I have to periodically hit the Max A/C button to freshen the air when in Auto mode. BTW we have all of our windows tinted, front included and now the a/c works OK in summer, still it is better to leave the a/c on when making short stops in direct sun to keep the car cooled down.

BMW4Me said:
I just happened to notice that when I engage the recirculate function--by pressing the button and having the right side LED illuminated--it reverts back to Auto (with left side LED illuminated) within approximately 30 seconds.

Mine stays in the selected recirculation mode until I press the button again. Drove with it in manual for 10+ minutes this morning in fact.

WoodlandHills said:
I find the HVAC in our i3 to be marginal at best: even in Comfort mode it gets stuffy with three or more adults inside.

Not my experience. What intensity level are you using in Auto? I had turned mine down to level 1 with the onset of our rainy season. Then noticed the windows would fog up a bit before the demist cycle automatically engaged. I moved the intensity up to the midpoint and the issue went away. Now admittedly I haven't had as much need for cooling as you likely have down south but during our handful of warm days since last May, the i3 has had no trouble maintaining the meat locker like temperatures I prefer.

I'm not sure what you mean by intensity, are you referring to the fan switch that shows the green lights? I keep the HVAC in Auto, I assumed that the climate control system handled the fan speed automatically in that position as it does in every other car I have driven in the past decade or so.

The fan speed does not appear to change automatically unless it goes into defrost mode, at least as I observe. I admit, I don't really have all that many miles on mine (less than 2K). IT does adjust where the air goes on its own along with the temperature of it, but I'm not sure about the fan speed.

Page 128 in the owner's manual describes the recirculating function (automatically reverts to fresh air):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20310202/2014%20BMW%20i3%20Owner%27s%20Manual.pdf

The climate system controls air flow, air distribution, and air temperature when Auto is engaged. Intensity refers to how quickly the interior reaches the set temperature. The relevant section of the manual is subtitled "Intensity of the AUTO Program." I can't quote a page number because I referenced the Driver's Guide app. Not that it says much but it is mentioned.

When the system is in Auto mode, you set the intensity level with the fan rocker switch. A single LED indicator moves left or right as you press the switch. The further to the right the LED moves, the higher the intensity level. While it might seem as if you're setting the fan speed since increasing the intensity usually translates into immediate increased air flow, the system will slow the fan once the interior approaches the set temperature even though the intensity level and the LED indicator remain the same.

In manual mode, the same rocker switch does control fan speed. The LEDs light sequentially from one to five as the indication. The air flow won't change unless you adjust it.

I'm not sure how long BMW automatic climate systems have included the intensity setting. I know my E90 has it but the operation is a bit different. Pressing the Auto button repeatedly cycles through three intensity levels. I think it's a bit easier to understand because a graphic showing the level and air distribution briefly appears on the iDrive screen. Here's a screenshot from the E90 manual:

Page 130 of the printed manual, but it doesn't go into that level of detail. Thanks for posting stumbledotcom.

The fresh/recirculate function on the i3 WILL (eventually) revert back to fresh. According to the manual, it depends on the external and internal conditions, so it is not one fixed timeframe.

Back