Replace High Voltage Battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

I have a 2014 REx that I bought new I live in Alabama. After 10 years of ownership I need to replace the high voltage battery. I am doubtful about the local dealer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the battery swap accomplished? Also is it possible to install a new battery with a greater range? The existing battery’s range is now 50 miles or less.

Several mechanics in Europe have been replacing 60 Ah battery packs with 94 Ah or 120 Ah i3 battery packs, so it's certainly possible but fairly expensive, even when installing a used battery pack. Apparently, installing a 94 Ah battery pack is easier than installing a 120 Ah battery pack.

Unfortunately, the value of your i3 might be less than the cost of replacing its battery pack assuming that you could find someone who could do it. It might make more financial sense to sell your i3 for parts eventually and replace it with a newer model.

At least you have a REx that will extend your range, so your i3 remains usable.

How much are you realistically willing to pay for this?
I'm not asking because I can give you a quote. I'm asking to see what your expectations are.
This is something that many Dealers don't even want to do under warranty where BMW throws money at them.
The last "We don't want to do it" price for an out of warranty battery replacement at a Dealer was $41K at this thread:
https://www.mybmwi3.com/threads/41-578-38-for-new-battery.18742/

When you think about it, this is BMW shooting themselves in the foot, isn't it? One of the worst criticisms of EVs in general is that they become scrap once the factory-fitted battery reaches end-of-life. EVs are very much at the centre of their future range, but BMW seem to be determined to turn them into an environmentalist's worst nightmare.

Last edited:
There is a guy on the Facebook BMW I3 group who has changed (3) batteries on his fleet of I3's. He lives near me in Baltimore. Jeff Fahringer is his name. See if you can find him.

Back