Replacement / weatherproof portable charger?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadower

I live in LA and surprise - it rained yesterday! Unfortunately my i3 parks outside and it fried my portable charger (110v) that I wrongly thought was weatherproof.

Well, it's not, and bmw wants to charge me $650 (!!!!!!!) for a replacement one.
Obviously this is ludicrous especially since I lease the car and sadly I have no other charging options as I rent.

Anyone know of a weatherproof and cheaper charger?

Thanks!
D

Thanks L33t! However I use a portable 110v (normal socket plug in) charger as I don't have access to 220v, and I rent so I can't install a charging station.

Hence I need a small portable charger I can use outside.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!
D

Clipper Creek has some that might fit your needs. Interesting, though, in that I specifically asked an iExpert at one of the corporate drive events (these were people from NJ, not the dealership people) about the EVSE...they said it was waterproof. I'd take them to task about it and see if you can get them to replace it for free under warranty. I'd complain up the chain.

I plan on doing so. $650 is crazy high to replace a small plastic unit - especially since before it would "work fine outside and in rain".

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Shadower said:
Thanks L33t! However I use a portable 110v (normal socket plug in) charger as I don't have access to 220v, and I rent so I can't install a charging station.

Hence I need a small portable charger I can use outside.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!
D

Talk to emotorworks.

The Juicebox is designed to be portable and can be plugged into various outlets, including 110v outlets. There are a bunch of adapter cables available so no wiring is necessary. $39 each per adapter cable.

Didn't realize it was portable = everything on their site looked like a mounted box. I'll give them a call.
... after calling BMW north america to yell at them for false advertising. :)

Thanks all!!

FWIW, the front trunk area in the i3 is not waterproof, and the owner's manual says the same thing, which is where the thing is stored. IOW, under certain conditions, it would be expected to get wet even while not being used.

All EVSE's have what amounts to a built-in GFCI, but code may require the receptacle to have its own (as in if it is in a garage, basement, or outdoors).

Definitely not something they covered when I bought it. :/ Altho every salesperson I interacted with knew less about the i3 then me (largely thanks to this forum!!).

Where was your OUC? on the ground and become in a puddle?

My OUC is OEM from Clipper Creek
http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/pcs-15-portable-level-1-evse/

Do you have the same? It is "OUTDOOR RATED– Rugged, fully sealed NEMA 4 enclosure for indoor or outdoor use". Definitely claim warranty in your case

Sadly yes - they said I would have to pay for it regardless when I turned the lease in.

GOOD update though: After calling corporate HQ, making a big deal out of it, and letting them know I'm on a TV show shown driving it - hey, it helps - they agreed to one time replace it for me. Woo hoo!

I am sure I have read several posts saying the one supplied in North America is water proof. I have charged a few times in the rain. Guess I got lucky.

Is the 3 pin charger that comes with the UK spec i3 fully waterproof? I have charged my car twice now from an isolated dedicated charging point at my hotels 3 pin charging point outside in the rain and it works but I am not sure for how long? I will put a waterproof bag on tonight just in case.

Rob

Roblane said:
Is the 3 pin charger that comes with the UK spec i3 fully waterproof? I have charged my car twice now from an isolated dedicated charging point at my hotels 3 pin charging point outside in the rain and it works but I am not sure for how long? I will put a waterproof bag on tonight just in case.

Rob

I'm the same mate, charged a couple of times now in the pissing rain with no issues. Looks waterproof to me. Surly is with our climate.

Back