Resonant noise

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gridvantage

I just passed 5,000km with my REX. Over the past 1,000km, I've noticed the appearance of a rhythmic resonant noise between 40-70 kph. The dealer says all i3s do this, and it comes from the tires. I admit the noise sounds (somewhat) like an unbalanced tire, but it also sounds to me like it comes from the drive train, and there is absolutely no vibration which would normally feel with unbalanced tires. Given the general silence in the car, I find this noise a little annoying.

Anyone gets the same noise? Any thought on the origin?
:?:

Gridvantage said:
I just passed 5,000km with my REX. Over the past 1,000km, I've noticed the appearance of a rhythmic resonant noise between 40-70 kph. The dealer says all i3s do this, and it comes from the tires. I admit the noise sounds (somewhat) like an unbalanced tire, but it also sounds to me like it comes from the drive train, and there is absolutely no vibration which would normally feel with unbalanced tires. Given the general silence in the car, I find this noise a little annoying.

Weird. I'm only in my third day of ownership so I can't comment on your experience.

That said, your dealer's position on this ("all i3's do this") is obviously totally unresponsive and unacceptable.
Is there anyone on the service team there whom you trust who would go out on a test drive with you to share the experience with you and then try to solve it?

tiburonh said:
Gridvantage said:

Weird. I'm only in my third day of ownership so I can't comment on your experience.

That said, your dealer's position on this ("all i3's do this") is obviously totally unresponsive and unacceptable.
Is there anyone on the service team there whom you trust who would go out on a test drive with you to share the experience with you and then try to solve it?

I hear it in my BEV. I heard it in the demo. It is the loudest when cornering hard on very smooth (freshly paved) roads. The harder you corner, the worse it is. On rougher (I.E. average) pavements, I do not hear it. I myself also believe it is the tires. Normally with background motor noise, you wouldn't hear it (at least the noise I hear). Personally, I almost always have the Harmon-Kardon blaring (I mean it's not like I'm gonna have the stereo off so I can listen to that wonderful exhaust note!).

Also, I hear it primarily in the front (I spent some time making sure it wasn't bearing/drivetrain related), and there is no "drivetrain" up front.

Kevin, what you describe is exactly how it occurs,ie it is loudest when you take a long turn at an exit at mid speed. One theory from a friend which may make sense is that it comes from wind turbulence in the rear wheels. I have the 20" wheels and will try an experience of taping the openings this weekend. What wheels do you have?

Gridvantage said:
Kevin, what you describe is exactly how it occurs,ie it is loudest when you take a long turn at an exit at mid speed. One theory from a friend which may make sense is that it comes from wind turbulence in the rear wheels. I have the 20" wheels and will try an experience of taping the openings this weekend. What wheels do you have?

Ditto with Kevin. .. i assumed it could be normal bearing noise being particularly noticeable on a smooth road as no engine noise to drown it out. I have 3500 miles on my BEV and it's made the noise since day one.

I have 20 inch alloys.

Gridvantage said:

I have the 20s also. I personally believe it's tread pattern, and the complete lack of engine noise. If you have ever ridden in a truck with "aggressive" tread patterns, you will hear something similar (alibeit much, much louder, and different rhythm as the tread pattern are totally different).

The tire in cornering is working harder, with more scrub, or lateral forces, which I believe magnifies it (hence I don't hear it barely at all when going straight, regardless of speed). Also, in my listening, there is more noise coming from the fronts (if not all, as I haven't heard it from the rears. But that's partly because no one except me drives it, so I'm never in the back seat :cool: )

I have myself worked on cars off and on for many years. I'm almost positive (98%?) that it is not bearing/drivetrain related. Maybe also related to the low-rolling-resistance tiny tires. If the road is not really smooth (I.E. paved recently) I don't really hear it at all.

Why don't you try jacking it up so the rear wheels are off the ground (safely) then put it in drive and see if you still get the noise as you speed up?

I have the 19" 428 wheels on my UK BEV and haven't noticed any noise of the kind described. I'd say that on a smooth surface the car is eerily quiet.

You notice a different road noise with this car, I have only had demo and noticed different drone on different roads one was 20inch other 19" basic style

Mine had a similar noise, found all four tyres had dropped in pressure due to colder temperatures, pumped them up to four persons pressure and it drives a lot better and is quieter. Not the first car I've had that likes hard tyres!!

Gridvantage said:

I am just hitting 850 miles on my i3 and thought I started to notice tire noise on the back right tire. I purchased my i3 Rex Giga with the sport 20" tires. I read in a few blogs that the tires are prone to wear faster do to the streamlined design.

4000 miles on my BEV. Yes I have a drone on smooth road surfaces particularly when cornering.. it doesn't sound like a tyre noise to me.. its not a deep sound. .

I also have the noises. When I change the feont tieres to rear or to winter tires the noises are gone. Changing from left to right helps a little.
I also have an explanation but no solution. And I hate the noises!

I thought for a while the noise was related to tire wear, but the more I pay attention to it, the more I believe it is related to wind turbulence in the wheels. I have the 20" and the large flat surface with the oval openings make me think that wind turbulence causing a bit of resonant noise is the probable cause. In a couple of months, I will be switching to 19" wheels with winter tires. I look forward to seeing if the same happens then.

The noise is from the 20" sport tires which have a different tread pattern than the 19's. I have confirmed this with BMW. You will notice it more at lower speeds and on freshly paved roads. If you drive about 30mph and swerve left and right like you are driving an autocross course it is really noticeable.

Thanks Tom, your explanation makes a lot of sense and the noise is indeed much noticeable around 30mph while turning or swerving.

Back