REX or BEV with DC Fast Charge?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodomo

Currently in the market for an i3. Which version is better for a broad mix of driving scenarios covering both short and longer distances - a base model REX or a BEV with DC Fast Charger?

One difference is obviously price. The REX costs about $3k more (+$35/month in payments) but has the easier peace of mind on longer trips.

In my area (Northern California), there are not that many DC Fast Chargers yet, although I expect more to be built in the next 3 years. Besides the NRG eVgo network ChargeNow network, are there any other DC Fast Charge networks being built out?

For a broad mix of journey length, I would suggest a ReX with DC Charging: that's the solution I have chosen and depending upon which journeys I take I can either go all electric or not depending on availability of DC chargers (and whether they're working or in-use) or on ReX.

janner said:
For a broad mix of journey length, I would suggest a ReX with DC Charging: that's the solution I have chosen and depending upon which journeys I take I can either go all electric or not depending on availability of DC chargers (and whether they're working or in-use) or on ReX.

i 100% agree 95% of my use is all electric but if i need to go further i can without worrying about charging.

I'm in the same boat as the posters above. After 2.3k miles, I've used the REx for about 8-10 miles. However my wife wouldn't love the i3 as much as she does had we not ordered it with the REx. I would have been happy with a BEV, I am sure, but as it is meant to be a family car it's important we are all comfy using it.

Generally, I would say the DC Fast Charge option is a good idea for BEV and REx. If you buy outright, it might have a positive bearing on residuals. Obviously less of a problem if you lease.

Any EV, Rex or otherwise, without a fast charger is going to be a drag on the market in a year or two at the most. No problem if you lease, but it will be a terrible trade-in if you own it. It would be like trying to sell a car with no aircon or with manual windows: who would want it?

WoodlandHills said:
Any EV, Rex or otherwise, without a fast charger is going to be a drag on the market in a year or two at the most. No problem if you lease, but it will be a terrible trade-in if you own it. It would be like trying to sell a car with no aircon or with manual windows: who would want it?

I'm not so sure about this. I live in the Pacific NW and there are currently 0 fast chargers in the area. The longest(overnight) road trip I would really do in the i3 REX would be 170 miles which would mean one gas fill-up each way with an overnight charge. With any longer family trips, we would probably need a vehicle that holds more stuff.

So, yes it would be nice to have DC fast charging as an option for theoretical DC fast charging stations, but it certainly would not be a deal-breaker.

Since DCFCs are going to be standard equipment going forwards, why limit your resale market to those who do not percieve a need for one? Unless your buyer is an EV expert most folks will be wondering why your used car is without something that relates to usefulness and is included on every other EV out there.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just picked up an i3 REX tonight. No DCFC. I'm leasing it so will let BMWFS deal with the resale at the end of the lease.

After I left the dealership with a full charge, I went 15 miles to the airport to pickup my wife, then 30 miles home, then 5 miles to dinner, then 5 miles to the grocery store, then got back home with 21 miles left. Pretty happy with my 1-day experiment so far!

Nodomo, congratulations on your new i3 REx. I too have one and have just over 7000 miles on it. I have a Clipper Creek unit in my garage and typically charge the vehicle at night--takes about three and a half hours for a full charge--while I sleep and the rates for electricity are at their lowest. Today I charged the vehicle after making a round trip across the Los Angeles basin--about 120 miles--and my I Remote App tells me that I have 85 miles of charge. I bought my vehicle--one of the "roll out" editions--and intend to keep her for a long time. For my needs, the vehicle is near perfect. I hope you enjoy driving your i3 as much as I enjoy mine.

justanotherdrunk said:
2 months/ 2k miles here and i shoulda got the bev

ive never come close to needing the rex

hindsight is 20/20

:shock:

I've also noticed that I rarely use my REx since I've had it (2.3k miles now), but I am now starting to venture out more and use public chargers. The flip side of this is that you can't always rely on availability of public chargers and therefore a REx can give you piece of mind. But everyone is different and I think it is great to hear how well people are getting on with their BEVs.

I pulled up to our local DCFC to find that the retaining hook on the plug was broken. I was down to 5.5% and w/o the Rex I would have been quite worried. As it was I just drove home with the REx churning happily away holding charge.

WoodlandHills said:

No, missing DCFC is not even close to not having AC or power windows. It's more like not having heated seats, in Phoenix. I wouldn't buy a long range car without heated seats, because I do drive to colder places, but I hardly every use heated seats in Phoenix, and a Phoenix based BEV is not likely to ever leave the desert.

I have ZERO use for fast charging, and seriously doubt it will depress the resale of my car by as much the $800 cost it would have added to my BEV. I do 100% of my charging at home on my L2, and then I typically skip a day or two between charges. Our second car, a hybrid ICE, handles all long range needs perfectly well, as does our BEV handle >90% of all our daily needs without any charging away from home. I suspect I am more typical of the average BEV buyer than not.

On the other hand, I would be thrilled if the missing DCFC seriously depresses the value of my i3. Then I will be able to negotiate a lower buyout price at the end of my OC plan.

Maybe the most common concern of someone coming from an ICE to an EV is range and what to do if you suddenly run out in the middle of nowhere. BMW foresaw that concern and offers the i3 with the range extender for those that needed the assurance to relive anxiety. I'm sure that they would have preferred a simpler BEV vehicle, but were realistic...people fear the unknown whether it is realistic or not.

In my case, I was confident that the REx was an added cost and unnecessary for my use pattern and would have possibly reconsidered the vehicle entirely if I'd been forced into buying one with it.

If your use pattern requires longer ranges than you can reliably achieve with the BEV, the REx version MIGHT be a viable solution. Some people are totally satisfied with smaller vehicles, but they do present some issues on longer trips when carrying more people and/or luggage. IF you accept the limitations of the i3 BEV or REx, it may be a great choice. I was pleased to trade my daily driver ICE for an i3 for my normal use, but am pleased I kept it for those situations where it excels.

As BMW adds more vehicles to their ix family, you will see designs that address some of these points. Some rumors are that the i5 will be a fuel cell based vehicle based on their agreement with Toyota. Longer range is a given with that type of vehicle, but it probably has an even bigger problem with infrastructure than BEVs. There has been some recent advances in small-scale hydrogen fueling station tech such that it can be produced on-site economically, on a footprint of a typical gas station. You're stuck with the chicken or egg conundrum, though, they won't get built if there aren't users, and there won't be many users unless they can be fueled...sort of where we are with EVSE and CCS units, but it's much easier to get one of those installed than an explosive hydrogen plant! And, shipping the stuff is not easy, either - it is hard to contain the smallest molecule known to man, compressing it to liquid takes a LOT of power (not counting that that it takes to extract it from whatever the source is), and the extreme cold makes most materials quite brittle adding to the containment issues. Throw in that it burns without color and is tasteless and colorless, and maybe you'll begin to see H2 is not without issues as a fuel for vehicles. In the right combinations, H2 doesn't even require a spark to ignite it.

Back