Rex sound level from outside and inside

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lturcotte

Hi

I would like to have an idea of the sound level from outside and inside the I3

I only found one example on youtube,
at 0:20 in this video http://youtu.be/nCDn5r8WZI4
but it seem very loud. as if it was recorded very close to the muffler

are there other link to audio samples

thanks

lturcotte said:
Hi

I would like to have an idea of the sound level from outside and inside the I3

I only found one example on youtube,
at 0:20 in this video http://youtu.be/nCDn5r8WZI4
but it seem very loud. as if it was recorded very close to the muffler

are there other link to audio samples

thanks

Wow sounds like the exhaust is..gone... When I borrowed an i3 during my test drives I ran the rex. From inside the cabin, car stationary it was barely audible, and from outside was crisp and quiet.. no louder than a quiet modern gas car. This guy sounds like he has an air compressor running! I can assure you the i3 I test drove was not like the video you have found. This guy should 'return to a service center, do not pass go, do not collect £200"..

Only a few more weeks to be borne electric...

Think it might be fake as not meant to run when stationary as far as I know.

When on test drive the sales guy turned on generator without telling me and I did not notice, because I had asked for a test drive in a REX so I could hear for myself.

I've not been able to hear the REx at all - and I'm not deaf. Certainly, running at speeds above 40mph or so I've not been able to even tell it's running - I've had to fire up the energy flow diagram to check it's actually working. Maybe you can hear it at slow speed but I've not tried it yet - it certainly isn't going to be loud.

My wife and I both usually strain to hear it at speeds below around 40 mph in the city. We can't hear it at all at speed on motorways.

I have noticed, however, that it sometimes starts running faster and becoming quite audible in city traffic under certain conditions - I think it may be when the battery is running low.

SS

How do you access the energy flow diagram? This was permanent in my Lexus hybrid - but I haven't found it yet on the i3.

Car Information->E-Drive->3D picture of car with arrows showing what electrons are heading in which direction!

If I've remembered it correctly.

I agree with above comments about the unobtrusiveness of the REx engine. I'm aware of it at slower speeds, below 30 mph or so, but not at highway speeds. In city driving, I'm pretty much always aware of it. It makes the car less silky smooth like it is when running on battery power, but it only slightly intrudes.

I agree with above comments about the unobtrusiveness of the REx engine. I'm aware of it at slower speeds, below 30 mph or so, but not at highway speeds. In city driving, I'm pretty much always aware of it. It makes the car less silky smooth like it is when running on battery power, but it only slightly intrudes.

Unfortunately, ill have to agree with original post, at least my REX sounds like that outside of the car. And fyi it sounds so also when standing still after a trip and before put in park.
Inside the car at highway speeds it is barely noticeable.
There seems to be different levels of noise/Power and ive only noticed this once yesterday arter a long trip where the car automaticly entered rex mode.

I think it really does depend on the state of charge. If, as I have done run the battery to minimum before the rex auto starts (5%) or about 3 miles range... the rex seems to be pretty loud from outside and stays on sometimes when stopped. If you have plenty of charge left the rex cuts outs at about 20 mph.... at least it think thats the case but will have a go tomorrow to check...

just did a long haul trip this weekend 600Km round trip. the sound (being a music guy too, i was very interested in as well) depends on the strain of the engine. it was more when going faster and less when going slower. I could make a db rated sound file for you, but the only thing that comes to mind is a APC 1000watt UPS power supply. its like a low humming sound when not under a lot of stain. when under more strain it sounds like a 650cc motor bike with a really good muffler.

Jetfuel said:
just did a long haul trip this weekend 600Km round trip. the sound (being a music guy too, i was very interested in as well) depends on the strain of the engine. it was more when going faster and less when going slower. I could make a db rated sound file for you, but the only thing that comes to mind is a APC 1000watt UPS power supply. its like a low humming sound when not under a lot of stain. when under more strain it sounds like a 650cc motor bike with a really good muffler.

Your observations are from inside the car correct?
As mine sounded more like a scooter on drugs when i roller down the Windows and was stationary.

I'm a REX owner also. I agree with most of the posts. I had the opportunity to hear my REX run. I literally was rolling down the windows and straining to hear it. While I was traveling on the highway at highway speeds, I could not even hear it. Once I slowed down to about less than 30 mph it was more apparent, but it was more like a low hum. No more than a regular vehicle. I thought it was kind of cool. :lol: Hence, I also own a BEV and would have been stranded at that point so I was very pleased to hear my little REX humming away in the back of the car. Definitely glad I went with the REX. I was nervous before I took delivery though when I heard the REX on a couple of European specs. It is not nearly as obnoxious. Don't worry.

On another note. I've noticed some posters say that they hear their REX while the vehicle is stopped. Mine shuts off at stop lights and anytime the car is stationary so I could not hear it at all. You go back to peaceful silence which is nice!

juniorbeep said:
hi steven, yeah thats what i experience. If the state of charge is very low then rex stays on.
And thank heavens for that! Otherwise if your going uphill and your SOC goes to 0% and your speed starts to dwindle toward 0 mph, you couldn't pull over and let the REx get you enough charge to make it over the hill. I'm getting better at avoiding that situation, but it did happen once.

The engine sound is going to be dependent on RPM. Obviously if it is not working hard (low RPM) the volume will be low. When working hard to produce Max power (high RPM) it will be louder. That's how all engines work, guys. LOL

The Volt works the same way. Quiet under normal loads but go up very steep long hills or put it in mountain mode to recharge the battery and the engine sounds ugly pretty quickly.

The REx max output is dependent on the road speed, the slower you go, the slower the REx goes. It doesn't go to max until you're going about 56mph or higher.

Back