REX vs BEV i3 - Choice regret?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAZ

:D Very new guy here with a deposit on a i3 BEV (with DC Fast Charger) in transit. I researched and decided that the BEV version would work for me. It's seems that the majority of i3 owners have the REx. Any BEV owners that now regret their decision as well as REx owners that feel the BEV version would have met their daily driving needs? I, as well as most have other cars for extended range. I currently have a Prius Plug In and feel I can maximize the i3 BEV range, while understanding the mileage limitations. My daily commute is 20 miles total, and almost all of my driving would be well within the BEV range. I Just don't want to drive around with a "boat anchor" everyday if I don't actually need it. Would appreciate other owners opinions.

I've had my BEV since mid-May. No regrets. I drive about 10 miles a day. The other half still has an E90 328i we can use for long trips. Didn't want the weight, complexity, and additional maintenance of a second power source in the daily driver. Consider the two a perfect combination for our circumstances.

stumbledotcom said:
I've had my BEV since mid-May. No regrets. I drive about 10 miles a day. The other half still has an E90 328i we can use for long trips. Didn't want the weight, complexity, and additional maintenance of a second power source in the daily driver. Consider the two a perfect combination for our circumstances.

Ditto, except 20mi commute. Rex would be be a step backward for me.

stumbledotcom said:

Ditto... 56 mile commute...

Dee123 said:
noakey said:
Ditto... 56 mile commute...

56 mile commute is OK most of the year. Have you used your i3 in the winter yet? Did it measure up?

No winter yet, but I normally finish each day with 30+ miles left so feel pretty happy.. and winter in the UK is around -2 celcius so not too challenging. ..

DAZ said:
:D Very new guy here with a deposit on a i3 BEV (with DC Fast Charger) in transit. I researched and decided that the BEV version would work for me. It's seems that the majority of i3 owners have the REx. Any BEV owners that now regret their decision as well as REx owners that feel the BEV version would have met their daily driving needs? I, as well as most have other cars for extended range. I currently have a Prius Plug In and feel I can maximize the i3 BEV range, while understanding the mileage limitations. My daily commute is 20 miles total, and almost all of my driving would be well within the BEV range. I Just don't want to drive around with a "boat anchor" everyday if I don't actually need it. Would appreciate other owners opinions.

Congratulation, I am sure you will enjoy it! :mrgreen: We talked already I was wondering what you would do.

DAZ said:

Hi Don. .. hey congratulations on ordering your bev. Different people have different needs but for me the bev is great, well within my daily needs. I chose not to include the complications and cost of running and maintaining a petrol motor in my i3, plus the company tax and personal use benefits are worth having.

I would have been OK with a BEV if I RARELY (say less than once a month) drove more than 50 miles in a day. I would never ever want to feel like I have to slow down or turn off the HVAC in peak heat or cold in order to make it. In other words: if you EVER think you will have to even think about range (apart from very occasional trips that you would not even attempt in the BEV), then you should get a REX. Otherwise, enjoy the benefits of leaving the ICE behind.

For me, I do an 82 mile round trip a couple of times a week. Even though I can generally get at least a few hours of L1 charging in at my destination, I did not seriously consider the BEV.

BEV here. I have had a Leaf for close to two years so I am completely comfortable with the range. If the REX worked in the US in the way that it does in Europe I would have been more inclined but it does not so I noped on that option.

Everyone's situation will be different. Some will have a second car to take over the trips when the i3, regardless of version, just wouldn't work. In my case, being retired, my typical use is normally no more than 15-20 miles in a day. In the nearly three months of BEV ownership, I've only driven my ICE a couple of times, and once was to take it to the dealer's for service. I probably could have taken it to the airport whose parking garages have L2 EVSE's, but I couldn't be assured of actually finding one, and might not have made it back home at the end of my trip and didn't want to have to search for a charge after midnight or sit there for a few hours while it recharged. It was just easier to take the ICE.

Back