Roof rack and trailer hitch?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

Yakima and Thule don't seem to have anything on their sites that fit an i3 although Thule does have a listing for the car. They just don't have any products that fit it.

Does anyone know of a source for a roof rack to carry my gear when the car is filled with people and dogs? Also I have a 15' rowing skiff that I tow behind my smart car and I would love to be able to use the BMW too.

I would also love it if anyone had an idea if there was a towing option available with this car for very light loads. As unacceptable as it might seem for a car designed to be so light for mileage, I manufacture a product that's a bit too large for the back and would love to get 2 of these per load in a very small trailer for a delivery distance that would be acceptable for maybe a full charge and maybe 30 miles Rex.

By "available" I mean a real aftermarket part, or if anyone has investigated the mount points and structural integrity of where the mount would go to attach the tow hitch. I'd want to be extra careful with this car...

You can really tow something with a Smart Car :shock: ? I'm impressed! Possibly a barrel of Marshmallows?

DeafSoundGuy said:
I would also love it if anyone had an idea if there was a towing option available with this car for very light loads. As unacceptable as it might seem for a car designed to be so light for mileage, I manufacture a product that's a bit too large for the back and would love to get 2 of these per load in a very small trailer for a delivery distance that would be acceptable for maybe a full charge and maybe 30 miles Rex.

By "available" I mean a real aftermarket part, or if anyone has investigated the mount points and structural integrity of where the mount would go to attach the tow hitch. I'd want to be extra careful with this car...

You can really tow something with a Smart Car :shock: ? I'm impressed! Possibly a barrel of Marshmallows?
Check out Facebook group, there was a post about aftermarket hitch being designed. looked really nice

Tomasz said:
Check out Facebook group, there was a post about aftermarket hitch being designed. looked really nice

Yes, a couple of the members there have designed one, and one owner has also allowed TorkLift Central to use his car for the test version of the EcoHitch for the i3. It has been "coming soon" for months now - still waiting for them to have the final product ready.

DeafSoundGuy said:

A 100lb rowboat on a 100lb trailer. It weighs less than the average American adult......

i3atl said:
Tomasz said:

Yes, a couple of the members there have designed one, and one owner has also allowed TorkLift Central to use his car for the test version of the EcoHitch for the i3. It has been "coming soon" for months now - still waiting for them to have the final product ready.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. If Torklift is going to make something I can wait for that. That's great news. Hell I'm close enough to them where I could drive up there and see 'em! Probably have to be my ICE though :oops:

Thanks man.

DeafSoundGuy said:
i3atl said:
Tomasz said:

Cool! Thanks for the tip. If Torklift is going to make something I can wait for that. That's great news. Hell I'm close enough to them where I could drive up there and see 'em! Probably have to be my ICE though :oops:

Thanks man.

FYI, there are photos of both the Torklift unit and the one being designed by members there on the Facebook group, if you want to take a peek.

Back