Saving drive mode and plug lock

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loliea

Howdy!
I have few questions regarding the programmable features:

1) It is very annoying that the AC and drive mode are reset every time the car is switched off/on. Can this be preventable and for example have the car stay in eco+ with AC off if the car is switched off that way?

2) Is it possible to disable the charger lock when the car is locked? At work we are sharing few charging stations and when the car is locked the plug cannot be removed. Seems that all other EV offer that option, did find it in the onboard menu.

1. No.
2. It's coming in a s/w update...sort of. As I understand it, the plug will unlock when the vehicle has reached full charge after the update. I had not heard if this is a user option, or if there are any other choices, or it will be automatic. I'd like it to be an option in case I happened to be using my OU personal EVSE so it couldn't easily walk off. Not a big issue in the USA with our tethered cables at a public EVSE, but in Europe, on most stations, you use your own cable, and replacing it would be expensive. Theirs don't lock in the same manner as out J1772 plug does, though.

you can switch the auto a/c off ive done it on mine,i put the location in the coding section. ive not looked into the others but im pretty sure just about everything on the car can be coded if you know where to look.

Lots of things can be coded, but as delivered, no, you cannot default certain things off and have them remain off when you turn the car off then back on again.

Keep in mind that for most situations, the use of the a/c verses opening the windows, the car is more efficient using the a/c. And, if it finds the windows fogging up, it will turn it back on. WHere I live, it is rare that things remain comfortable without leaving it in auto climate control mode.

jadnashuanh said:
Keep in mind that for most situations, the use of the a/c verses opening the windows, the car is more efficient using the a/c.
I haven't found that to be true under 60 mph, even with the A/C not working very hard due to the difference between the interior temperature set point and the exterior temperature being only ~10º, but I haven't tested this thoroughly. Except in the middle of the night when A/C isn't necessary, I don't know of a highway here that's flat and uncongested enough to perform a reliable test.

jadnashuanh said:
Lots of things can be coded, but as delivered, no, you cannot default certain things off and have them remain off when you turn the car off then back on again.

Keep in mind that for most situations, the use of the a/c verses opening the windows, the car is more efficient using the a/c. And, if it finds the windows fogging up, it will turn it back on. WHere I live, it is rare that things remain comfortable without leaving it in auto climate control mode.

That's true, AC is more efficient than open windows.....at speed. Below 40 mph, I doubt there is any advantage to not rolling down the windows on a nice day. Besides, as a blanket rule, the car should stay the way I last set it up, I know far better what is best for me than the car!

Someone reported that the break even point on the i3 is 25mph on windows verses a/c use. So, I suppose running around stop and go traffic in town, assuming you wanted to breath all of the particles in the air, or listen to the horns and traffic sounds, you could have the windows down. Personally, I don't worry about it, and just let it do its own thing. I'd rather let the car filter the air for me.

Back