Seat belt warning randomly

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnort

Anybody else had issues with the seat belt warning going off while driving? If I stop, and power cycle the car, it seems to fix it. It may have just been stopping entirely.

I MIGHT have had something on the passenger seat that was a few pounds, but I took it off and tha tdidn't seem to fix anything.

This has happened a few times now.

i just coded mine out i hate gong that tell you what you already know (seat-belt door open,etc)

It could be any one of at least several things: loose connection, bad switch, maybe a bad circuit board. Many things in our cars actually send a serial digital message rather than being a discrete switched signal to the computer, and anything that disrupts that serial message can cause similar problems. Or, it could be the computer itself...

if you have up to date BMW ista-d software and an e-sys cable and know how to use it (or someone that can help you) the fault will be logged and stored.

I think it's just bad programming, perhaps combined with a overly touchy weight sensor.

It's happened a third time. Each time, I've been driving with a glass dish (the wife bakes frequently, and the leftovers are banished to work else we'll eat them all) on the passenger seat. It's not all that heavy (maybe 5lbs?).

Even removing the weight from the seat doesn't solve the problem; I've had to turn the car off at the next light/stop sign and start it again.

The exact same thing happened to me twice. I shut it off by connecting the belt on the empty front seat. Like you I had a pound or two of stuff on the seat.

Latest posts

Back