Self parking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW4Me

I've used the feature a few times now, mostly for the novelty and the great reaction I get from my passenger. However, I've started noticing that the i3 pulls up quite close to the car in front at the end of the self-park session. It does not seem to center itself between both cars, but seems to have a bias toward the car in front. Anybody also observe this?

I think this is logically correct. If you auto-park in a space enough for more than one car it should and does go to one end of the space.

BrianStanier said:
I think this is logically correct. If you auto-park in a space enough for more than one car it should and does go to one end of the space.
Is there also an 'unpark' option? I would be worried that if the adjacent cars moved or were replaced while I was away, they may close up the space enough to prevent me getting out. So I assume the worst and always leave enough space ahead to be able to drive out.

BrianStanier and bryand,

You both make good points! I didn't think about the condition where the space was large enough to fit several cars. Clearly in this case, one wouldn't want to take up the whole space and possibly irritate other drivers.

However, I too like to leave a decent, if not generous distance from cars front and back, as many drivers still enter and exist parking spaces by feel ("bump" indicates you've gone too far). So I like to give my self space to avoid bumper scrapes.

Now in the case where the space is clearly just large enough for one car, I would prefer a self-centering algorithm. Doubt we'll see this level of customization on iDrive.

Sheesh, another gadget that, at 300 miles, I have yet to try. But what I have noticed is that I am leaving huge space up front when I park, just because I can't see anything past the windshield wiper. I'm going to have practice cozying up to a wall or something. I suppose I could go to Reverse, and then to Drive to activate the PDC, but I'm not sure PDC "sees" those individual concrete "curbs" that are used in parking lot spaces.

Given this forward bias, I am certainly going to practice and use some more experimentation before wowing a passenger. Thx for the observation.

There's a button on the dash, that if it is turned on, will trigger the front sensors to tell you when you are getting too close to an object.

I wish they would mod the SW to make the front parking sensors automatic (as the manual says they are).

Having them automatically triggered only by the side sensors seems stupid.

Basically, if you get a little close to a parallel obstacle like a parked car - side and front sensors activate automatically to warn you. But if you're manoeuvring out of a tight space and come close to another car or wall directly in front - you have to remember to select them manually.

Seems illogical to me.

Maybe I'm sensitive - 'cos I drove silently into the garage wall while explaining the screen display to BMW iService on my mobile :-(

(Fortunately car bounced off without a scratch :)

BrianStanier said:
They'd be very irritating in stop-and-go traffic.
No reason they can't come on automatically under, say, 3 feet. You should not be down to 3 feet in stop and go traffic (unless you are driving in Italy).

Mine do come on automatically but only when the front is already at the red zone. If you're moving more than 1 or 2 MPH it's not enough time to stop.

The system in my Touareg was speed based. They'd come on when the vehicle speed dropped below 10 MPH. Negative was they'd be on anytime you were stopped in traffic or at a light. Pedestrians in a crosswalk often got close enough to engage the beeps.

I see the pros and cons of each approach. Not sure which is better.

I've driven other cars with permanently active front sensors and found them useful.

I remember borrowing a VW Phaeton where the worked permanently.

Back