SoCal i3 thoughts on buying

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnocchi42

Hi all some random thoughts. I've been trying to buy an i3 - BEV version and it seems all the deals are only on the 2015 models. The problem is there aren't any 2015 BEVs left on the lots. The BMW lots are full of 2015 REXs that don't seem to be selling with the lack of green HOV sticker anymore. (Side note - if you want a REX - go for it - they are everywhere in Socal and deals to be had.)

It seems BMW financial is only offering the $2000 lease cash on the 2015 models. Obviously they are trying to motivate dealers/buyers to buy the 2015s. But again - only stock available are REX models. I will probably wait and see what 2016 BEV lease cash, etc from BMWFinancial... comes out in March.

Sadly - the 2016 stock that seems to arrive to Socal is weighted towards the REX versions. So BEV models non-existent in 2015 and 2016s in short supply with no lease cash. REX available everywhere in both 2015 and 2016 versions.

Throw in low price of oil and new i3s coming out in the fall and this might be an interesting few months for i3 sales.

Just got one of those "deals" on the REx 2015, 15% off msrp. I too initially wanted a BEV for the quicker acceleration, and no need for that much range - but youre right no BEVs in sight (McKenna has some demos coming - ask for James Guan, but I don't think they deal well at McKenna). That said, no regrets with the REx, just love it so far. Plus, I think it was good since I don't get that range anxiety. However, I have no need for the HOV sticker so it wasn't a big deal in that way either.

My guess is dealers aren't going to stock too many 2016 BEVs (I could be wrong and probably will be) since 2017s will have the bigger battery - who would get 2016 when 2017 has the range everyone wants?

Plus I think 2016s are being leased at 36 mos?

Back