Some coding questions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking into coding my car but wanted to clarify a few things. This would be for a 2015 i3 REx.

I sent a message to codemycar earlier this week but hadn't heard back and just wanted to see if anyone might know the following:

- What exactly is the Time Setting Option? I couldn't find any specific details about it when I Googled it.

- Can the i3 be coded to unfold the mirrors when disarming the car or when starting the car, but not fold in automatically via the remote? Sometimes I might fold in my mirrors in a tight spot, but forget to manually unfold them until I'm already backing out of a space. I do not want the mirrors to fold in automatically at all.

- When you enable the full capacity of the fuel tank, approx how many gallons can you fill it up with (US model)? How much does your estimated range increase by after being able to put more gas into the tank?

- What is the factory setting/number for the Fuel Level Reserve Warning? What do most people like to set theirs to?

In some markets, the car can set the time/date via the cellular network.

The fuel tank is always 2.4g, it's just that the computer will tell you it is empty when you've used the 1.9g and shut the motor down. Figure whatever range you have on the REx now, and add about 20% or so. It's not a great idea to run most modern cars out of gasoline...the car would still probably shut the thing down when there's a little bit left. High pressure fuel systems don't like to run dry.

I just found out from a couple of people that no coding can be done on my car since I have the Nav Business setup (7" screen), and only the Nav Pro (10" screen) models can accept the coding.

Looks like I'm SOL.

That is an interesting tidbit. I was trying to help another owner with some coding, and while everything worked on my car and a couple others, it would not work on theirs. They did have the smaller screen rather than the larger. That might have been the issue, as the coding params for enabling REx hold are in the head-unit ECU.

SteveMondragon said:
I just found out from a couple of people that no coding can be done on my car since I have the Nav Business setup (7" screen), and only the Nav Pro (10" screen) models can accept the coding.

Looks like I'm SOL.

This is not true - you can code the car no matter which HU is installed. There may be some methods that the various vendors use that are not supported on the basic navigation, but "regular" DIY coding works just fine.

Of course the options you're able to enable/disable will vary according to the features of the hardware - for example, you can't enable split screen on the basic navigation.

SteveMondragon said:
- What exactly is the Time Setting Option? I couldn't find any specific details about it when I Googled it.
Sounds like the "Auto time setting" check box under Main menu > Settings > Date/Time. Initially, mine didn't have the check box. When springing forward or falling back, I had to manually change the car's time, which was positively exhausting. But some i3s have the auto-time setting, which you check once and you're done.

Turns out if you code two of the control modules, BKOMBI and HU_NBT, you can activate the "Auto time setting." I have the larger navigation screen, so your HU_ control module name might be slightly different.

See the coding spreadsheet under my signature for more details.

In the extended test drive I recently had, there was a startup sound that was sort of like a spaceship swoosh. Cute.... the first ten times. But I would prefer to get rid of useless stuff like that if I own one. Can that be coded out?

SteveMondragon said:

Looks like I'm SOL.

That's not true at all. I have the Business Nav and I have coded more than a few things to my car. There is only one thing that may not work on the Business Nav; video in motion. I haven't tried it yet though so perhaps coding that option might work even without the larger screen.

Back