Strange charging screen

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue20

Hi,

Just got my i3 yesterday. :) Took it out for a spin and tried out different charging stations.

In one of the stations that I tried, it is an AeroVironment Level 2 charging stations. My i3 showed 7 minutes to fully charge (from just over 50%), and this screen changed between 7 min to 10 min. After I waited ~ 15 min to half hour, I didn't see any increase in range. Neither my i3 nor the EVSE showed any error.

Any idea, what this may be? or What else I can try to get power from this EVSE?

7338.jpg

2n3mtf.jpg

The AeroVironment EVSE (charging station) looks like the one I have in my garage, and it is a 220v / 30 amp unit. It recharges the car at approximately 20-25 miles (32-40 km) of range per hour. They are dependable, although not very informative to us data geeks.

I think that your screen is showing the time of day that your car will be ready, i.e., 12:07am; not the number of minutes remaining to the end of the charge cycle. The little arrow pointing to the end of the charge bars is the trick, showing that it means that the car will be fully charged by the displayed time-of-day shown.

So.

The first thing to check is your car's settings and make sure the charge rate is set to Maximum.
Otherwise, to be safe, new cars are set to charge at a puny 110v / 13 amp setting so it won't blow a circuit breaker.

Secondly, check your charging options to see if it is on "timed charging," meaning that is is just sitting there, waiting for more favorable electicity rates to charge the car. If it is, change the charge setting to "Charge Immediately."

Thirdly, there is a low probability that your KLE (the charge control unit in the i3 ) has a problem, and only half of it is working, so you are charging at a rate of only 3-4 miles (5-6 km) of range per hour. Rare, but it has happened a few of us already.

Happy charging,
-- Ardie.

Thanks.

The charging station photo is stock from Plugshare. I was there about ~9pm. Will check my charging set.

There was no error on the EVSE. The top 4 lights came on, so that's connected and charging.

The time diplayed in the I3 is the predicted end time of charging, here 7 Minutes past midnight. This time is normally only slightly adjusted during the charge.

Ardie said:
The AeroVironment EVSE (charging station) looks like the one I have in my garage, and it is a 220v / 30 amp unit. It recharges the car at approximately 20-25 miles (32-40 km) of range per hour. They are dependable, although not very informative to us data geeks.

I think that your screen is showing the time of day that your car will be ready, i.e., 12:07am; not the number of minutes remaining to the end of the charge cycle. The little arrow pointing to the end of the charge bars is the trick, showing that it means that the car will be fully charged by the displayed time-of-day shown.

So.

The first thing to check is your car's settings and make sure the charge rate is set to Maximum.
Otherwise, to be safe, new cars are set to charge at a puny 110v / 13 amp setting so it won't blow a circuit breaker.

Secondly, check your charging options to see if it is on "timed charging," meaning that is is just sitting there, waiting for more favorable electicity rates to charge the car. If it is, change the charge setting to "Charge Immediately."

Thirdly, there is a low probability that your KLE (the charge control unit in the i3 ) has a problem, and only half of it is working, so you are charging at a rate of only 3-4 miles (5-6 km) of range per hour. Rare, but it has happened a few of us already.

Happy charging,
-- Ardie.

It happened to me..

FWIW, I've heard that not all EVSE meet the latest J1772 codes...and, there are reports from some that the connector may not always make good enough contact for the signaling lines, and that can prevent the thing from charging, or be intermittent. I've only tried one public charging station to this point, and it worked with no issues (it was on the CHargepoint network and was at the local BMW dealership, so I'd expect it to work fine with an i3!).

Back