Stuck charging cable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipPip

A bit of a weird one. I couldn't retrieve my charging cable from our charge station at work tonight. Its not a sophisticated pay station, just a free station with a couple of sockets. Our maintenance guy tried to help me but it is locked solid. I had to leave the cable at work attached to the charge station. Tomorrow we'll try disconnecting its mains power to see if it will release it. Anyone got any clues what could be going on?

There is an emergency manual unlocking cable accessible under a cover low down in the door jam of the rear door on the side of the charging port. Remove the cover and pull the blue knob to unlock the charging cable.

This doesn't explain why the charging cable would not unlock when the car was unlocked (you did unlock the car, right?).

alohart said:
There is an emergency manual unlocking cable accessible under a cover low down in the door jam of the rear door on the side of the charging port. Remove the cover and pull the blue knob to unlock the charging cable.

This doesn't explain why the charging cable would not unlock when the car was unlocked (you did unlock the car, right?).

Its not stuck in the car, its stuck in a wall charging unit. The car end has no problem - unlocked and unplugged as per normal. I have had to leave the cable stuck in the wall unit at work until we can work out how to get the unit to release it.

PipPip said:
Its not stuck in the car, its stuck in a wall charging unit. The car end has no problem - unlocked and unplugged as per normal. I have had to leave the cable stuck in the wall unit at work until we can work out how to get the unit to release it.
Oops! Next time, I'll try to read more carefully. Sorry for my confusion. At least you were able to drive home.

Does your charging station lock the charging cord plug to prevent theft? If so, it sounds like the locking mechanism is broken. If not, it's difficult to imagine why the plug can't be removed from the receptacle other than a very tight fit, some foreign matter lodged between the plug and socket, etc.

Yes the station locks the cable in when its charging to stop theft. Turns out this mechanism is broken. The station has been dismantled and my cable is free.

In Europe, you need your cable to charge (as I understand it- it does make the EVSE less expensive, though). In the USA, the cable is tethered to the EVSE, so you do not need your own cable. So, assuming your cable locks in Europe (apparently they do), it also appears that they lock at each end...twice the opportunity to fail. I'd be really miffed if an EVSE 'stole' my cable making it impossible or very costly to continue on if I needed to charge somewhere else along the way. I think I like the J1772 standard better.

Trying to get all of the EU to agree on something is tough. SOme specifically wanted a shutter in the plug covering the power pins prior to insertion. Makes for a more expensive plug. Considering the protocol doesn't apply power to them until the plug is installed and the EVSE and the car each see the interlocks, it seems a bit excessive. And, the pins are recessed, so you'd really have to be trying to electrocute yourself. But, it is what it is and unlikely to change.

Back