Sunroof ....and Heater

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

I know they are not everybody’s cup of tea but here in the gloomy UK glass roofs are a real boon so the fact that the Ampera wasn't available with one was another nail in its coffin.

Last Year I had asked the "i" expert at the Geneva Motor if a sunroof / glass roof would be available on the i3 and was told "of course" ... he replied so quickly that I thought this guy really knows his stuff or he'll say anything to keep customers happy.

The Life module in the London store didn't look like it had enough room for a sunroof ... so I was pleased when I saw this photo. However when I looked more closely I couldn't work out what I was seeing. Is it a sunroof?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/29975/images/bmwi3drive02.jpg

Maybe it’s like a Citroen DS5 where each person has their own piece of glass above their heads and there is a central cubby running down the centre of the roof.

Any thoughts?

BTW other information gleaned today - the Stereo system is a Bang & Olufsen unit and during the winter testing the Electric only i3 was warm and toasty even in -10oC - I've have a twitter conversation with someone who was a passenger and they said there were no issues with the cold..

Just a quick update ...... a Dutch web site that has been on the same "sit in an i3" event as AutoCar, Top Gear and Car Magazine says that the temp was -30oC or approx -22oF (not -10oC as I said previously) ...... so the fact that the heating system can cope bodes well.

Oh and the chap from Car Magazine says he doesn't think the i3 will be at Geneva .... so unless there is a very last minute change of heart I would imagine they must know what’s going on.

Parker said:
I know they are not everybody’s cup of tea but here in the gloomy UK glass roofs are a real boon so the fact that the Ampera wasn't available with one was another nail in its coffin.

Last Year I had asked the "i" expert at the Geneva Motor if a sunroof / glass roof would be available on the i3 and was told "of course" ... he replied so quickly that I thought this guy really knows his stuff or he'll say anything to keep customers happy.

The Life module in the London store didn't look like it had enough room for a sunroof ... so I was pleased when I saw this photo. However when I looked more closely I couldn't work out what I was seeing. Is it a sunroof?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/29975/images/bmwi3drive02.jpg

Maybe it’s like a Citroen DS5 where each person has their own piece of glass above their heads and there is a central cubby running down the centre of the roof.

Any thoughts?

BTW other information gleaned today - the Stereo system is a Bose unit and during the winter testing the Electric only i3 was warm and toasty even in -10oC - I've have a twitter conversation with someone who was a passenger and they said there were no issues with the cold..

I saw that too and am equally puzzled. It does appear to be a sunroof over the driver, but then you see what looks like a divider between the the driver and passengers head. It could be there to intentionally confuse though.

Sunroof update.......

It appears that the pre production cars were fitted with glass panels above driver and passenger .......separated by a divider (as per Citroen DS5) but were covered up (as we can see from the photos) - hopefully this means it will be an option on the production car.

Great news.

This info is from one of the test passengers. :)

I think it will look like this......

http://www.netcarshow.com/citroen/2012-ds5/800x600/wallpaper_4c.htm

Both driver and front passenger have a piece of Glass above them - I don't think the separator will be quite so "extensive" as the Citroen version.
In the Citroen they both open ie its a proper sunroof ...... I'm not sure they will in the i3 .

It certainly doesn't look like it will be a full Glass roof like the concept .... I think there would be too many heating / cooling energy issues for that to be an option.

I'm just glad that there will be light coming in over my head.

Geneva update......... sadly no production car.

However a little more car info .........including some heater (& light) info.....

"BMW's engineers also sought to to reduce the energy consumption of the i3's electrical components. The cabin heating operates on the heat pump principle, which results in 30 percent energy savings in city driving compared with a conventional electrical heating system, while the internal and external lighting uses energy-saving LEDs. Together, these two measures make a significant contribution to "range security" in the BMW i3."

So we guessed right on both counts.... :D

Booo on the no production version!

So I guess we don't know for sure about the i3 sunroof yet then?

I don't expect we'll get the production version until the Frankfurt Auto Show in September. European sales are expected to start in November with US sales a couple months later (January?) so Frankfurt makes sense. Also, Chairman Reithofer said journalists won't get to drive it till the fall so that timeline makes sense. Here is the transcript from Reithofer's speach to reporters earlier today at Geneva:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the BMW Group!

This is what individual mobility of tomorrow looks like and we will bring it to the road – as early as this year. This stands to show that we don’t just talk the talk. We walk the walk – because we are convinced that e-mobility is the technology of the future. We all know how the world is changing. In megacities, the car can only have a future if we take the right steps to lead it from low-emission to zero-emission technologies today. We strongly believe that sheer driving pleasure will also work without emissions.

The BMW i range offers a broad range of possibilities. What you can see here in Geneva is a variant of the BMW i3 – the BMW i3 Concept Coupe.

And I can tell you this much: Many of the components used for this Coupe are close to the series vehicle. This model highlights the great dynamics of the fully-electric BMW eDrive technology. Just like the BMW i3, the Coupe offers a maximum output of 125 kW or 170 hp. This e-drive is an in-house development – which is what customers expect from a company called Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. The underbody is fitted with lithium-ion batteries that provide the power to the e-drive.

We believe that customers will decide to buy an e-car if they receive compelling offers. Still, success is not guaranteed. But I am an engineer, and as such I know that technical progress and pioneering work require a daring approach. At the BMW Group, we have tackled the issue of e-mobility from a holistic perspective, and let me add: more so than any other automaker.

This means:

A completely new vehicle concept, consisting of Life and Drive modules.
New materials such as CFRP.
Sustainable production.

The media will have the opportunity to test-drive the BMW i3 this fall. I have already driven it quite a few times, and let me tell you: Cruising the city in this agile and noiseless sprinter is, without a doubt, sheer driving pleasure. Unfortunately, our stage is too small; otherwise, I would be happy to give you a little demonstration on the spot. Thank you very much to the BMW i3 Concept Coupe!

The BMW i range is one example of the foresight that we have at the BMW Group. We aim to provide our customers once and again with innovative solutions and attractive services, which meet their individual demands and offer them additional benefits. Proof of this is the vehicle we would like to present to you next.

So now I think we have a more defined timeline. Here is how I think it will proceed:

-Between now and the Frankfurt Auto Show in September we will continue to get little bits and pieces of i3 information, just enough to keep everyone interested and media satisfied. An occasional journalist will get to drive in one, but not for a comprehensive review.

-The production i3 is introduced in Frankfurt including specifications and pricing.

-The media will get full access to drive and review them in October.

-European sales begin in November and US sales start in January."

I'm still trying to figure out the sunroof or moonroof option. Take a look and let me know what you think in the comments section:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-sunroof-and-moonroof-option.html

Back