Switch between BMW i3 and conventional car

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camom

I just got my BMW i3, and found that I need some practice to get used to the one pedal driving. I mainly use it for daily commute, and will drive my normal gasoline powered car during the weekend. My concern is that is it easy switch back from one pedal driving on a conventional car? Would one get confused on the conventional car and thus have a potential safety harzard?

Please share your tips in you have similar arrangements.

camom said:
I just got my BMW i3, and found that I need some practice to get used to the one pedal driving. I mainly use it for daily commute, and will drive my normal gasoline powered car during the weekend. My concern is that is it easy switch back from one pedal driving on a conventional car? Would one get confused on the conventional car and thus have a potential safety harzard?

Please share your tips in you have similar arrangements.

Not had a problem. I think to start with going to the i3 causes premature slowing just for a few seconds.. Then going back to ice causes a sudden realisation that you need to use the brake lol... but in reality it's no big deal and after a few transfers you adjust automatically.. like going from manual to auto etc...

I wouldn't be concerned....

My wife suggests strawberry and coconut rice as a cure!

The first thing you'll notice is that your ICE doesn't slow anywhere as fast as the i3 when you let off! But, I've not had an issue switching. I do miss the small turning radius though, but at least on my ICE, I can see the hood and most of the corners!

First time I drove an ICE car after having the i3 for a few weeks, I mashed my foot on the gas at a light when it turned green. Probably a bad habit in the i3 to begin with, but awful with the 328i loaner I was in. Revved super-high and the turbo-lag made the whole second and a half very confusing. Didn't happen again, and hasn't happened on any ICE car I've had to drive since.

Once you make the switch once, your brain will go into "I need to remember two things, not one" muscle memory with car types.

Arlo

The first time that I drove an ICE again, I was surprised by how much I had to use the brake, but I got reaccustomed within a mile or two of driving.

The brake thing will catch you out - as mentioned. Not dangerously IME; just enough to surprise you a couple of times.

The other thing I've noticed is that the car I once regarded as a big, powerful, and responsive Merc now feels like there's an elastic band between throttle and weedy engine. And, gosh, it makes an awful din as it slowly girds its loins to pull the car forward.

SanSerif said:
The brake thing will catch you out - as mentioned. Not dangerously IME; just enough to surprise you a couple of times.

The other thing I've noticed is that the car I once regarded as a big, powerful, and responsive Merc now feels like there's an elastic band between throttle and weedy engine. And, gosh, it makes an awful din as it slowly girds its loins to pull the car forward.

LOL...I know. Even my 2011 Z4 sDrive3.5i (which has the twin-turbo motor) now doesn't really seem that fast anymore (until about 60-70mph then finally the difference is quite apparent! :) )

kevinb61 said:
SanSerif said:

LOL...I know. Even my 2011 Z4 sDrive3.5i (which has the twin-turbo motor) now doesn't really seem that fast anymore (until about 60-70mph then finally the difference is quite apparent! :) )

Lol.. my 3ltr v6 jag was a smooth quiet speedy cruiser... but after the i3 it's like a lame elephant dragging itself through mud... so I sold it and am enjoying my i3 every day...

Interesting to read this. I get my i3 Rex next month and this made me think about how contrasting our other car will be. Its a Volvo XC60 D4 all wheel drive with a manual gearbox. So its big, heavy, a manual, has a growly 5 cylinder diesel, its quite slow, it has soft/comfy suspension, its extremely planted on the motorway and it has the biggest turning circle of any car I've driven (XC60 owners moan about this a bit). Total opposite to the i3 but makes sense I suppose as my wife and I will share both cars and treat them as short/long journey transport!

I've been driving our i3 for several weeks now, and find that I have an altogether different problem when I drive our ICE vehicle - I keep jumping out of the ICE without switching the engine off! Good for a laugh every time I do it...

stormsaw said:
I've been driving our i3 for several weeks now, and find that I have an altogether different problem when I drive our ICE vehicle - I keep jumping out of the ICE without switching the engine off! Good for a laugh every time I do it...

Ha ha ha... kewl...

I often climb into our ice, place the key on the passenger seat and have a confused moment about why I can't go anywhere...

Equally I then climb into the i3 and have a confused moment while I work out that I don't need to put the key anywhere!

And lol... With comfort access I check the door is locked by pulling the handle which unlocks the car again lol... sigh...

My biggest problem is what to do with my right hand......no gear shift to rest it on. My left foot is similarly confused at the dead pedal, but all are adjusting.

Back