Tesla creates super highway in UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonville said:
Sunday Times just have Tesla a big write up. Apparently UK Goverment is letting Tesla create a charge highway. Interesting that the EU sponsored RCN Highway doesn't get a mention.

Not sure if non subscribers can see this link. Let me know and I'll try another method. I think referencing it is ok.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article1411932.ece

Non subscribers can’t access the article using the link. Nice try. ;)

Sunday Times said:
THE dream of being able to drive the length and breadth of Britain in a near-silent battery-powered car has come a step closer to reality.

Stations that can charge Tesla electric cars in 20 minutes — far quicker than most owners of electric cars are used to — are being installed on Britain’s motorways by the billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk.

The first supercharging stations are due to be unveiled within weeks by Musk, who is advising the government on electric car technology. Ministers hope his electric superhighway will transform the way drivers view electric cars, and energise their sales.

One of the first supercharging stations is at South Mimms services, at the junction of the M25 and the A1 in Hertfordshire. It will form part of an electric highway stretching from Dover along the M20, and from Bristol along the M4. The two routes will converge on the M25, from where the highway will follow the route of the M1.

Construction work was almost complete last week, with wiring installed and the supercharger units sitting in wooden crates.

Many electric cars require overnight charging to replenish their batteries, and their range is typically less than 100 miles.

The government appointed Musk as an “electric car czar” last November in an attempt to boost sales when the electric revolution, predicted by transport ministers since 2010, failed to arrive.

Two other companies, Ecotricity and ChargeMaster, also plan to develop high-speed charging networks, which can be used by owners of other electric cars, but Teslas are likely to remain the car of choice for motorway journeys due to their superior range.

Some analysts see Tesla as the last chance to persuade drivers to switch to battery power. In Britain, only 1,547 pure electric cars were registered in the first four months of this year: 0.18% of total car sales. This is despite millions spent on grants and tax concessions for buyers of battery-powered cars and charging points.

Edmund King, president of the AA, said: “Tesla could be a game-changer at the upper end of the market.

Reads like an add for Tesla. Also someone needs to educate the AA

Interesting statistic on the number of registrations. 1500 in the first 1/3 of the year. And 8700 total since the grant was launched in 2010. When I looked at the stats last June it was 4500, then 5600 in October. Things are taking off

Bill

Exciting. Glad to see things moving. This kind of commitment certainly makes Tesla's approach appealing. When our i3 lease is up in 3 years, I fully expect Tesla to be our first port of call...

Back