The dreaded windshield rock chip/ crack

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alohart said:
Bawareca said:
Well, because the BMW is smarter than the glass installers, they made an aluminum frame that is glued to the CF tub and the windshield is glued to the frame.
Your description of an i3 windshield repair doesn't agree with section 3.4 of BMW's I01 Technical Training manual:

"The new windshield is then reglued and positioned by the centering pins. In doing so, particular attention must be paid to the different materials to which the windscreen is attached. In the lower section, the windscreen is glued to the steel cowl panel. At the sides, the window glass is glued to plastic strips that are permanently connected to the body structure. The top mounting is at the carbon roof outer panels in vehicles without slide/tilt sunroof, or at the plastic rigid frame of the slide/tilt sunroof in vehicles"

There is no mention of an aluminum frame.
I helped the glass guys to change the windshield, but we were in a hurry and I didnt take pictures. It is possible that what i saw was not aluminum, or BMW changed something after the manual was written. Either way, your quote of the manual also shows that the glass is not glued directly to the CF and damage by "slicing the CF" is not very probable.

Back