Tips and Tricks

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancisJeffries

I've been asked elsewhere in this forum to share a description of auto-parking. I put it into tips and tricks so others can add new items if they wish

When you want to park automatically, you start the process off when you are driving slowly past a line of cars with potential parking spaces in it.
It won't offer an opportunity to auto-park if you could easily have driven into the parking space forwards :lol: . It needs a modest length space to make it start. Then:
• Press the autopark/rear camera button and note the green LED behind the button is lit.
• Continue to drive slowly past the line of cars until it finds a space to use.
It shows Stop Vehicle on the screen when it has found a space – well past the gap it’ll go into.
• From then on, follow the on-screen instructions:
• Indicate (Left or Right depending on which side you want it to park);
• Obey the instructions to take hands off steering wheel and keep the autopark/rear camera button continuously pressed to continue parking;
• Apply (or touch) brake pedal and then take your foot off the brake and the car starts to move.
• Don’t panic if it gets VERY close to the cars – it won’t hit them!
• When it has finished getting close to the car in front (and behind) to refine the parking it…
• …tells you that the car is stopped and can’t move (it’s left in PARK).
• Press the autopark/rear camera button to stop the rear camera, and note the green LED behind the button now is OFF. The camera will go off anyway if you drive off (not very likely if you’re parking!) or turn the car off.
If you want to abandon the manouevre at any time, simply press on the brake pedal, which buzzes with the ABS, and it says the parking is now stopped. The rear-view camera will stay on, but you can drive the car as normal.

Forum user "stumbledotcom" also made a great demo video of Parking Assist in action — in live traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxor_ckUxR0

Back