Traffic jam assist retro

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jhu321 said:
From a required options perspective. From what I can tell if you have acc through the tech package you have kasfa camera. Is there a requirement to have pack assist? I'd imagine tja would need to move the wheel to steer the car; For those of us that do not have the park assist, do you know if the parts are there to move the wheel? I would love to get this module but don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks

I'm not entirely sure if the parking package is necessary. I know that outside of the United States, BMW states TJA as part of the tech package. However, I don't know whether park assist is necessary. I will look into it and get back to you.

Update:

I've finished designing and testing the circuit board and am currently waiting on quotes from a couple fab houses. Also, parts are on order and I am working on the housing and wiring in the meantime. I'm estimating it'll be about a week before everything arrives and I can begin final assembly and test.

I've kept track of everyone who are interested and am making sure I will have enough modules for all of you. I'll be putting up a website soon so that everything can be done through Paypal for your convenience, security, and protection.

Finally, thank you all for the positive comments and amazing responses! I am working hard to make sure this device is just as amazing and does not disappoint! :)

Stay tuned!

I'm super interested in this! I'm in the Los Angeles area as well if you need any guinea pigs for testing

shehadehd said:
Update:

I've finished designing and testing the circuit board and am currently waiting on quotes from a couple fab houses. Also, parts are on order and I am working on the housing and wiring in the meantime. I'm estimating it'll be about a week before everything arrives and I can begin final assembly and test.

I've kept track of everyone who are interested and am making sure I will have enough modules for all of you. I'll be putting up a website soon so that everything can be done through Paypal for your convenience, security, and protection.

Finally, thank you all for the positive comments and amazing responses! I am working hard to make sure this device is just as amazing and does not disappoint! :)

Stay tuned!

Do you have any pictures you can share of your prototype? I’m quite curious and looking forward to more detail.

Thanks again!

shehadehd said:
Update:

Stay tuned!

Please count me in for this!
I'm in the SF Bay area and would be happy to help test.

Hi everyone!

More updates: All of the parts for the module have arrived and the final PCBs are on their way now. Like I said earlier, to better facilitate getting these modules to you, I've been putting together a website, which I've linked below. It has a lot of the same information that's already been discussed here, but it also has some new stuff too.

If you are interested in a module, please go to the website and fill out the form to help me estimate how many need to be made. You add your email if you want to be notified when modules are available, but it's not necessary. If you've already responded to this thread or PM'd me, can you please still go through the form so that I don't lose track of anyone?

Thank you again and hope to see these in your cars soon!

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-drive

Great, straight-forward and comprehensive info on your website. Very well done!

I submitted my email address (henning k.).
There was no confirmation email though (checked spam folder), which is fine for me as I keep track of it here too. Just FYI.

Thanks again for the good work and great offer.

carolinanoodles said:
Great, straight-forward and comprehensive info on your website. Very well done!

I submitted my email address (henning k.).
There was no confirmation email though (checked spam folder), which is fine for me as I keep track of it here too. Just FYI.

Thanks again for the good work and great offer.

I'm glad you enjoyed the website. I overlooked sending a confirmation email. I'm going to set it up now so expect one soon.

Also, I'll be adding some additional example videos as well as some installation instructions later today so look out for that too.

I can’t seem to get it to take my email address. Probably user error.

Still interested and I found my self another i3 so we might end up buying two.

RGloverii said:
So do you have any updates on the modules?

I do, Sorry, I've been updating through the youtube page. Here is a quick summary of updates:

September 19 at 2:38pm
Quick Update: PCBs have arrived at the post-office and I'll be picking them up today. The cases are currently being printed and are estimated to be done in two days. Final assembly and test on the first batch will hopefully happen this weekend. I'll post a photo of the circuit boards as soon as I pick them up.

Yesterday at 1:34pm
Weekend progress: The first set of boards and cables are assembled and tested. All looks good. I've received the case samples and have determined what material and form-factor I'll be moving forward with. My plan is to get the final design quote tomorrow and green light it for a production run. I have some cool pictures of the boards and the prototype cases that I'll post once I upload them from my camera.

Thank you everyone for your patience as I get everything together. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can finally update the website to say "in-stock"

21558728_10154940207698359_7146897203452481718_n.jpg

Great update.

I'm wondering if you were able to fully characterize the behavior of the steering wheel sensor module and the CAN bus traffic. How often is it necessary to "spoof" the signal from the sensor? Is there a counter in the packets, or are you just sending the same message over and over? Any other tips you can give on activation of the PAM for steering would be helpful.

Just so you know, there's a group working (slowly) to port the comma.ia self-driving OpenPilot to the i3. The Comma.ai team even has offered a bounty for the person (or persons) that succeed in porting the OpenPilot code to the i3. There's a good amount of info gathered that's available on Slack here https://comma.slack.com/messages/C62QF5JG1/files/F6DLNH5FW/

info on the bounty and how to add a your own pledge to incentivize the coders:
https://comma.ai/bounties.html

I understand that this feature is intended by BMW to work up to 35 mph but we can code it to work up to 75 mph. Is the higher speed limit also available in EU versions, or this is purely a hack to remove the limiter from the system?

Also, what are the characteristics of the traffic jam at higher speeds? How usable is it?

Thanks!

boomerE30 said:
I understand that this feature is intended by BMW to work up to 35 mph but we can code it to work up to 75 mph. Is the higher speed limit also available in EU versions, or this is purely a hack to remove the limiter from the system?

Also, what are the characteristics of the traffic jam at higher speeds? How usable is it?

Thanks!
All your questions were answered on the previous page and the page before that one. Basically it ping pongs between the lanes when you're going 60+mph and it's sketchy at best. Better to steer yourself. But in traffic situations, you're good to go and just let go of the wheel when under 40mph.

If I had to guess, based off his comments on letting the i3 steer itself over 60+mph it acts like my POS Chrysler 200C acted. Which was worthless during self steer at over 40mph even though it was advertised to handle such speed.

I just got the latest email update. Anyone else a little bummed that he is adding a buzzer and mandatory steering wheel interaction? I personally don’t like that. Without the touch sensor feels like it could be awkward, and annoying.

I don’t want to have to deal with a ‘buzzer’ either, but I understand the logic behind the addition.

For liability reasons, he needs to add it. Otherwise there could be problems when some idiot turns the system on, starts reading a book, and drives into a tree.

Also, for the steering wheel interaction, it sounds like his system will be watching for a button press on the steering wheel. Or at least I hope that’s the plan.

As someone that has signed up on the interest list, I'm also not too keen on the buzzer idea. Preferable to a third-party buzzer would be an OEM alert chime (such as when ACC disconnects).

Has the method of determining driver attentiveness officially been stated as pressing one of the steering wheel buttons? The email I received only says "interact with the wheel in some way".

Back