Turn off the audio

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatguy

If the car has been shut off, then turn off the audio when the driver's door is opened. Leaving the audio blaring after I've opened the driver's door is just annoying.

This isn't an i3 thing, it's a BMW thing. If you want the audio to shut off before you get out, press the start/stop button twice vs once when shutting the car off.

Boatguy said:
If the car has been shut off, then turn off the audio when the driver's door is opened. Leaving the audio blaring after I've opened the driver's door is just annoying.

Boat Guy-

Ditto that.

Same thing for the turn signal!

Your friend in Tiburon.

H

I found out that if you put the car in park, activate the parking brake, open the drivers door, and THEN turn the car off the radio shuts off immediately .

jelloslug said:
I found out that if you put the car in park, activate the parking brake, open the drivers door, and THEN turn the car off the radio shuts off immediately .

Why not just press start/stop twice?

i3atl said:
jelloslug said:

Sounds a lot like the Steve Jobs quote "you're holding it wrong" in response to the iPhone 4 antenna problems.

Why doesn't the car just shut off the radio when I open the door? It's not my job to figure out how to trick the car into doing what I want; it's the car's job to serve me.

Boatguy said:
i3atl said:
jelloslug said:

Sounds a lot like the Steve Jobs quote "you're holding it wrong" in response to the iPhone 4 antenna problems.

Why doesn't the car just shut off the radio when I open the door? It's not my job to figure out how to trick the car into doing what I want; it's the car's job to serve me.

Well, that's your preference. I prefer the way it works now vs other cars I've owned. Just because you prefer otherwise doesn't make the current functionality wrong.

With that said, I'm all for them providing options for items like this, so the best thing would be for them to provide a checkbox in iDrive to enable the functionality you're looking for.

For that matter, BMW already provides more of a choice than some others - for example, Nissan cuts the audio (including BT phone calls) when you shut the car off (before opening the door), GM keeps the audio on until you open the door (as you prefer). With BMW, you get the choice - press once, keep audio on, or press twice to shut it off.

Well it is stupid I think, my Lexus, Porsche, Audi and Toyota all shut off everything when you shut off the car, all in one press of the start/stop.

Plus even if you do press the button twice, you have to remember to take you foot off the brake or the second press restarts the car.

Dumb!

jelloslug said:

Lol.. have you tried activating the brake , then opening the passenger door while turning on and off the hazard lights... followed by holding your foot on the brake peddle while you fold in the mirrors holding your finger on the button for 15 seconds enters a special menu where you can select if tge radio turns off with the car....

Sorry... just joking but couldn't help it ....

Alternatively you could just push the radio volume button to shut it off.

Personally, I sort of like having the radio stay on. But, as others have said, it's easy to get it to turn off if you really want it to. This is not limited to the i3, my GT does it exactly the same way.

jadnashuanh said:
Personally, I sort of like having the radio stay on. But, as others have said, it's easy to get it to turn off if you really want it to. This is not limited to the i3, my GT does it exactly the same way.

In no other car I have ever driven do I have to turn things off twice in order to have them actually turn off. In my Audi the radio stays on for a bit - maybe a couple minutes, but then it turns itself off. A delayed turn off of the radio would be fine, but I can't fathom how it makes any sense to have the radio keep playing (and keep using electricity) indefinitely.

And it makes even less sense to have the turn signal keep flashing indefinitely after you have turned the car off! I'm obviously parked at that point and there is zero need to warn drivers or pedestrians of the turn I have already completed. Please BMW, make the turn signal turn off as soon as I turn the car off!!! :)

tiburonh said:
jadnashuanh said:

In no other car I have ever driven do I have to turn things off twice in order to have them actually turn off. In my Audi the radio stays on for a bit - maybe a couple minutes, but then it turns itself off. A delayed turn off of the radio would be fine, but I can't fathom how it makes any sense to have the radio keep playing (and keep using electricity) indefinitely.

And it makes even less sense to have the turn signal keep flashing indefinitely after you have turned the car off! I'm obviously parked at that point and there is zero need to warn drivers or pedestrians of the turn I have already completed. Please BMW, make the turn signal turn off as soon as I turn the car off!!! :)

The audio doesn't stay on indefinitely, turns off after a few minutes in the i3 as well. Staying on indefinitely would indeed be ridiculous.

The radio, and whatever else stays active, only does so for about 10-minutes, or until you lock the car. This gives you a chance to run the windows or sunroof closed if you forgot before turning it off, or to listen to that last bit of the newscast, or song. I've only owned two BMW's, but they both operate exactly in the same way...it is not unique to the i3.

Back